Azure Stack 1908 update
Applies to: Azure Stack integrated systems
This article describes the contents of the 1908 update package. The update includes what's new improvements, and fixes for this release of Azure Stack.
This update package is only for Azure Stack integrated systems. Do not apply this update package to the Azure Stack Development Kit.
Previous release notes
Starting with the 1908 release, previous versions of release notes are no longer visible in the table of contents on the left. To access older versions of the release notes, select a different article (for example, the Azure Stack overview), then select 1905, 1906, 1907, or 1908 from the version selector at the top of the table of contents on the left. For earlier versions of release notes, see the Archived release notes section.
The Azure Stack 1908 update build number is 1.1908.0.20.
For 1908, the underlying operating system on which Azure Stack runs has been updated to Windows Server 2019. This enables core fundamental enhancements, as well as the ability to bring additional capabilities to Azure Stack in the near future.
The Azure Stack 1908 update build type is Full. As a result, the 1908 update has a longer runtime than express updates like 1906 and 1907. Exact runtimes for full updates typically depend on the number of nodes that your Azure Stack instance contains, the capacity used on your system by tenant workloads, your system's network connectivity (if connected to the internet), and your system hardware configuration. The 1908 update has had the following expected runtimes in our internal testing: 4 nodes - 42 hours, 8 nodes - 50 hours, 12 nodes - 60 hours, 16 nodes - 70 hours. Update runtimes lasting longer than these expected values are not uncommon and do not require action by Azure Stack operators unless the update fails.
For more information about update build types, see Manage updates in Azure Stack.
- Exact update runtimes typically depend on the capacity used on your system by tenant workloads, your system network connectivity (if connected to the internet), and your system hardware configuration.
- Runtimes lasting longer than expected are not uncommon and do not require action by Azure Stack operators unless the update fails.
- This runtime approximation is specific to the 1908 update and should not be compared to other Azure Stack updates.
- For 1908, note that the underlying operating system on which Azure Stack runs has been updated to Windows Server 2019. This enables core fundamental enhancements, as well as the ability to bring additional capabilities to Azure Stack in the near future.
- All components of Azure Stack infrastructure now operate in FIPS 140-2 mode.
- Azure Stack operators can now remove portal user data. For more information, see Clear portal user data from Azure Stack.
- Improvements to data at rest encryption of Azure Stack to persist secrets into the hardware Trusted Platform Module (TPM) of the physical nodes.
- Hardware providers will be releasing OEM extension package 2.1 or later at the same time as Azure Stack version 1908. The OEM extension package 2.1 or later is a prerequisite for Azure Stack version 1908. For more information about how to download OEM extension package 2.1 or later, contact your system's hardware provider, and see the OEM updates article.
- Fixed an issue with compatibility with future Azure Stack OEM updates and an issue with VM deployment useing customer user images. This issue was found in 1907 and fixed in hotfix KB4517473
- Fixed an issue with OEM Firmware update and corrected misdiagnosis in Test-AzureStack for Fabric Ring Health. This issue was found in 1907 and fixed in hotfix KB4515310
- Fixed an issue with OEM Firmware update process. This issue was found in 1907 and fixed in hotfix KB4515650
For information about security updates in this update of Azure Stack, see Azure Stack security updates.
Before applying the update, make sure to review the following information:
Download the update
You can download the Azure Stack 1908 update package from the Azure Stack download page.
Azure Stack releases hotfixes on a regular basis. Be sure to install the latest Azure Stack hotfix for 1907 before updating Azure Stack to 1908.
Azure Stack hotfixes are only applicable to Azure Stack integrated systems; do not attempt to install hotfixes on the ASDK.
Prerequisites: Before applying the 1908 update
The 1908 release of Azure Stack must be applied on the 1907 release with the following hotfixes:
The Azure Stack 1908 Update requires Azure Stack OEM version 2.1 or later from your system's hardware provider. OEM updates include driver and firmware updates to your Azure Stack system hardware. For more information about applying OEM updates, see Apply Azure Stack original equipment manufacturer updates
After successfully applying the 1908 update
After the installation of this update, install any applicable hotfixes. For more information, see our servicing policy.
- No hotfix available for 1908.
Automatic update notifications
Systems that can access the internet from the infrastructure network will see the Update available message in the operator portal. Systems without internet access can download and import the .zip file with the corresponding .xml.
Archived release notes
You can see older versions of Azure Stack release notes on the TechNet Gallery. These archived release notes are provided for reference purposes only and do not imply support for these versions. For information about Azure Stack support, see Azure Stack servicing policy. For further assistance, contact Microsoft Customer Support Services.
- For an overview of the update management in Azure Stack, see Manage updates in Azure Stack overview.
- For more information about how to apply updates with Azure Stack, see Apply updates in Azure Stack.
- To review the servicing policy for Azure Stack integrated systems, and what you must do to keep your system in a supported state, see Azure Stack servicing policy.
- To use the Privileged End Point (PEP) to monitor and resume updates, see Monitor updates in Azure Stack using the privileged endpoint.