Prerequisites for installing IoT Hub on Azure Stack Hub
IoT Hub on Azure Stack Hub is currently in preview, and is provided free during the preview period.
The following prerequisites must be completed before you can install IoT Hub on Azure Stack Hub. Several days or weeks of lead time may be required to complete all steps.
These prerequisites assume that you've already deployed at least a 4-node Azure Stack Hub integrated system, build number 1.2005.6.53 or higher. The IoT Hub resource provider is not supported on the Azure Stack Hub Development Kit (ASDK).
If you've already installed a resource provider, you've likely completed the following prerequisites, and can skip this section. Otherwise, complete these steps before continuing:
Register your Azure Stack Hub instance with Azure, if you haven't done so. This step is required as you'll be connecting to and downloading items to marketplace from Azure.
If you're not familiar with the Marketplace Management feature of the Azure Stack Hub administrator portal, review Download marketplace items from Azure and publish to Azure Stack Hub. The article walks you through the process of downloading items from Azure to the Azure Stack Hub marketplace. It covers both connected and disconnected scenarios. If your Azure Stack Hub instance is disconnected or partially connected, there are additional prerequisites to complete in preparation for installation.
Update your Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) home directory. Starting with build 1910, a new application must be registered in your home directory tenant. This app will enable Azure Stack Hub to successfully create and register newer resource providers (like Event Hubs, IoT Hub, and others) with your Azure AD tenant. This is an one-time action that needs to be done after upgrading to build 1910 or newer. If this step isn't completed, marketplace resource provider installations will fail.
- After you've successfully updated your Azure Stack Hub instance to 1910 or greater, follow the instructions for cloning/downloading the Azure Stack Hub Tools repository.
- Then, follow the instructions for Updating the Azure Stack Hub Azure AD Home Directory (after installing updates or new Resource Providers).
- Download and install Event Hubs from the Marketplace. The deployment of Event Hubs must happen BEFORE the deployment of IoT Hub is started.
- For a faster download and install of IoT Hub, download the following dependent items from Marketplace before downloading IoT Hub package. Otherwise, IoT Hub deployment will try to download the dependent packages:
- Custom Script Extension
- PowerShell Desired State Configuration
- Free License: SQL Server 2016 SP2 Express on Windows Server 2016
- SQL IaaS Extension
- Azure Stack Add-On RP Windows Server
- Wait at least 10 minutes after the successful installation of Event Hubs, before continuing with the deployment of IoT Hub.
Procure a public key infrastructure (PKI) TLS/SSL certificate for IoT Hub. The certificate Subject field must adhere to the following naming pattern:
CN=*.mgmtiothub.<region>.<fqdn>. See PKI certificate requirements for the full list of detailed requirements.
Be sure to review Validate your certificate. The article shows you how to prepare and validate the certificates you use for the IoT Hub resource provider.
DNS configuration requirements
For IoT Hub to work on the network properly on Azure Stack Hub, the network administrator needs to configure DNS. Find the DNS conditional forwarding setting in the DNS management tool, and add a conditional forwarding rule to allow traffic for:
<region>.cloudapp.<externaldomainname>. For example,
Next, install the IoT Hub resource provider on connected Azure Stack.