This page answers frequently asked questions about the Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) B2C. Keep checking back for updates.
Can I use Azure AD B2C features in my existing, employee-based Azure AD tenant?
Azure AD and Azure AD B2C are separate product offerings and cannot coexist in the same tenant. An Azure AD tenant represents an organization. An Azure AD B2C tenant represents a collection of identities to be used with relying party applications. With custom policies (in public preview), Azure AD B2C can federate to Azure AD allowing authentication of employees in an organization.
Can I use Azure AD B2C to provide social login (Facebook and Google+) into Office 365?
Azure AD B2C can't be used to authenticate users for Microsoft Office 365. Azure AD is Microsoft's solution for managing employee access to SaaS apps and it has features designed for this purpose such as licensing and conditional access. Azure AD B2C provides an identity and access management platform for building web and mobile applications. When Azure AD B2C is configured to federate to an Azure AD tenant, the Azure AD tenant manages employee access to applications that rely on Azure AD B2C.
What are local accounts in Azure AD B2C? How are they different from work or school accounts in Azure AD?
In an Azure AD tenant, users that belong to the tenant sign-in with an email address of the form
<xyz>@<tenant domain>. The
<tenant domain> is one of the verified domains in the tenant or the initial
<...>.onmicrosoft.com domain. This type of account is a work or school account.
In an Azure AD B2C tenant, most apps want the user to sign-in with any arbitrary email address (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com). This type of account is a local account. We also support arbitrary user names as local accounts (for example, joe, bob, sarah, or jim). You can choose one of these two local account types by configuring Azure AD B2C in the Azure portal.
Which social identity providers do you support now? Which ones do you plan to support in the future?
We currently support Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, Microsoft Account, Amazon, Twitter (preview), WeChat (preview), Weibo (preview), and QQ (preview). We continue to add support for other popular social identity providers based on customer demand.
Can I configure scopes to gather more information about consumers from various social identity providers?
No, but this feature is on our roadmap. The default scopes used for our supported set of social identity providers are:
- Facebook: email
- Google+: email
- Microsoft account: openid email profile
- Amazon: profile
- LinkedIn: r_emailaddress, r_basicprofile
Does my application have to be run on Azure for it work with Azure AD B2C?
No, you can host your application anywhere (in the cloud or on-premises). All it needs to interact with Azure AD B2C is the ability to send and receive HTTP requests on publicly accessible endpoints.
I have multiple Azure AD B2C tenants. How can I manage them on the Azure portal?
Each Azure AD B2C tenant has its own B2C features blade on the Azure portal. See Azure AD B2C: Register your application to learn how you can navigate to a specific tenant's B2C features blade on the Azure portal. Switching between Azure AD B2C directories on the Azure portal does not keep your B2C features blade open on most browsers.
How do I customize verification emails (the content and the "From:" field) sent by Azure AD B2C?
You can use the company branding feature to customize the content of verification emails. Specifically, these two elements of the email can be customized:
- Banner Logo: Shown at the bottom-right.
Background color: Shown at the top.
The email signature contains the B2C tenant's name that you provided when you first created the B2C tenant. You can change the name using these instructions:
- Sign in to the Azure classic portal as the Subscription Administrator.
- Navigate to your B2C tenant.
- Click the Configure tab.
- Change the Name field under the Directory properties section.
- Click Save at the bottom of the page.
Currently there is no way to change the "From:" field on the email. Vote on feedback.azure.com you are interested in customizing the body of the verification email.
How can I migrate my existing user names, passwords, and profiles from my database to Azure AD B2C?
You can use the Azure AD Graph API to write your migration tool. See the Graph API sample for details.
What password policy is used for local accounts in Azure AD B2C?
The Azure AD B2C password policy for local accounts is based on the policy for Azure AD. Azure AD B2C's sign-up, sign-up or sign-in and password reset policies uses the "strong" password strength and doesn't expire any passwords. Read the Azure AD password policy for more details.
Can I use Azure AD Connect to migrate consumer identities that are stored on my on-premises Active Directory to Azure AD B2C?
No, Azure AD Connect is not designed to work with Azure AD B2C. Consider using the Graph API for user migration.
Can my app open up Azure AD B2C pages within an iFrame?
No, for security reasons, Azure AD B2C pages cannot be opened within an iFrame. Our service communicates with the browser to prohibit iFrames. The security community in general and the OAUTH2 specification, recommend against using iFrames for identity experiences due to the risk of click-jacking.
Does Azure AD B2C work with CRM systems such as Microsoft Dynamics?
Basic integration with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Portal is coming soon.
Does Azure AD B2C work with SharePoint on-premises 2016 or earlier?
Azure AD B2C is not meant for the SharePoint external partner-sharing scenario; see Azure AD B2B instead.
Should I use Azure AD B2C or B2B to manage external identities?
Read this article about external identities to learn more about applying the appropriate features to your external identity scenarios.
What reporting and auditing features does Azure AD B2C provide? Are they the same as in Azure AD Premium?
No, Azure AD B2C does not support the same set of reports as Azure AD Premium. However there are many commonalities:
- The sign-in reports provide a record of each sign-in with reduced details.
- Audit reports are available in the Azure portal, under Azure Active Directory> ACTIVITY-Audit logs>Choose B2C and apply filters as desired. Both admin activity as well as application activity are covered.
- A usage report, covering number of users, number of logins, and volume of MFA is available at Usage Reporting API
Can I localize the UI of pages served by Azure AD B2C? What languages are supported?
Yes! Read about language customization, which is in public preview. We provide translations for 36 languages, and you can override any string to suit your needs.
Can I use my own URLs on my sign-up and sign-in pages that are served by Azure AD B2C? For instance, can I change the URL from login.microsoftonline.com to login.contoso.com?
Not currently. This feature is on our roadmap. Verifying your domain in the Domains tab on the Azure classic portal does not accomplish this goal.
How do I delete my Azure AD B2C tenant?
Follow these steps to delete your Azure AD B2C tenant:
- Follow these steps to navigate to the B2C features blade on the Azure portal.
- Navigate to the Applications, Identity providers, and All policies blades and delete all the entries in each of them.
- Now sign in to the Azure classic portal as the Subscription Administrator. (Use the same work or school account or the same Microsoft account that you used to sign up for Azure.)
- Navigate to the Active Directory extension on the left and click your B2C tenant.
- Click the Users tab.
- Select each user in turn (exclude the Subscription Administrator user you are currently signed in as). Click Delete at the bottom of the page and click YES when prompted.
- Click the Applications tab.
- Select Applications my company owns in the Show drop-down field and click the check mark.
- An application called b2c-extensions-app. Click Delete at the bottom of the page and click YES when prompted.
- Navigate to the Active Directory extension again and select your B2C tenant.
- Click Delete at the bottom of the page. To complete the process, follow the instructions on the screen.
Can I get Azure AD B2C as part of Enterprise Mobility Suite?
No, Azure AD B2C is a pay-as-you-go Azure service and is not part of Enterprise Mobility Suite.