In order for Azure AD Password Reset to function, you must have at least one license assigned in your organization. We do not enforce per-user licensing on the password reset experience. To maintain compliance with your Microsoft licensing agreement, you need to assign licenses to any users that use premium features.
- Cloud only users - Office 365 (O365) any paid SKU, or Azure AD Basic
- Cloud and/or on-premises users - Azure AD Premium P1 or P2, Enterprise Mobility + Security (EMS), or Secure Productive Enterprise (SPE)
Licenses required for password writeback
To use password writeback, you must have one of the following licenses assigned in your tenant.
- Azure AD Premium P1
- Azure AD Premium P2
- Enterprise Mobility + Security E3
- Enterprise Mobility + Security E5
- Secure Productive Enterprise E3
- Secure Productive Enterprise E5
Standalone Office 365 licensing plans do not support password writeback and require one of the preceding plans for this functionality to work.
Additional licensing info including costs can be found on the following pages
Enable group or user-based licensing
Azure AD now supports group-based licensing allowing administrators to assign licenses in bulk to a group of users, rather than assigning them one at a time. Assign, verify, and resolve problems with licenses
Some Microsoft services are not available in all locations. Before a license can be assigned to a user, the administrator must specify the “Usage location” property on the user. Assignment of licenses can be done under User > Profile > Settings section in the Azure portal. When using group license assignment, any users without a usage location specified inherit the location of the directory.
The following links provide additional information regarding password reset using Azure AD
- Quick Start - Get up and running with Azure AD self service password management
- Data - Understand the data that is required and how it is used for password management
- Rollout - Plan and deploy SSPR to your users using the guidance found here
- Customize - Customize the look and feel of the SSPR experience for your company.
- Reporting - Discover if, when, and where your users are accessing SSPR functionality
- Technical Deep Dive - Go behind the curtain to understand how it works
- Frequently Asked Questions - How? Why? What? Where? Who? When? - Answers to questions you always wanted to ask
- Troubleshoot - Learn how to resolve common issues that we see with SSPR