Conditional Access: Require compliant devices
Organizations who have deployed Microsoft Intune can use the information returned from their devices to identify devices that meet compliance requirements such as:
- Requiring a PIN to unlock
- Requiring device encryption
- Requiring a minimum or maximum operating system version
- Requiring a device is not jailbroken or rooted
This policy compliance information is forwarded to Azure AD where Conditional Access can make decisions to grant or block access to resources. More information about device compliance policies can be found in the article, Set rules on devices to allow access to resources in your organization using Intune
Create a Conditional Access policy
The following steps will help create a Conditional Access policy to require devices accessing resources be marked as compliant with your organization's Intune compliance policies.
- Sign in to the Azure portal as a global administrator, security administrator, or Conditional Access administrator.
- Browse to Azure Active Directory > Security > Conditional Access.
- Select New policy.
- Give your policy a name. We recommend that organizations create a meaningful standard for the names of their policies.
- Under Assignments, select Users and groups
- Under Include, select All users.
- Under Exclude, select Users and groups and choose your organization's emergency access or break-glass accounts.
- Select Done.
- Under Cloud apps or actions > Include, select All cloud apps.
- If you must exclude specific applications from your policy, you can choose them from the Exclude tab under Select excluded cloud apps and choose Select.
- Select Done.
- Under Conditions > Client apps (Preview), set Configure to Yes, and select Done.
- Under Access controls > Grant, select Require device to be marked as compliant.
- Select Select.
- Confirm your settings and set Enable policy to On.
- Select Create to create to enable your policy.
You can enroll your new devices to Intune even if you select Require device to be marked as compliant for All users and All cloud apps using the steps above. Require device to be marked as compliant control does not block Intune enrollment.
On Windows 7, iOS, Android, macOS, and some third-party web browsers Azure AD identifies the device using a client certificate that is provisioned when the device is registered with Azure AD. When a user first signs in through the browser the user is prompted to select the certificate. The end user must select this certificate before they can continue to use the browser.