Email notifications in PIM
Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) Privileged Identity Management (PIM) lets you know when important events occur, such as when a role is assigned or activated. PIM keeps you informed by sending you and other participants email notifications. These emails might also include links to relevant tasks, such activating or renewing a role. This article describes what these emails look like, when they are sent, and who receives them.
Sender email address and subject line
Emails sent from PIM for both Azure AD and Azure resource roles have the following sender email address:
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Display name: Microsoft Azure
These emails include a PIM prefix in the subject line. Here's an example:
- PIM: Alain Charon was permanently assigned the Backup Reader role
PIM emails for Azure AD roles
PIM sends emails when the following events occur for Azure AD roles:
- When a privileged role activation is pending approval
- When a privileged role activation request is completed
- When Azure AD PIM is enabled
Who receives these emails for Azure AD roles depends on your role, the event, and the notifications setting:
|User||Role activation is pending approval||Role activation request is completed||PIM is enabled|
|Privileged Role Administrator
(only if no explicit approvers are specified)
* If the Notifications setting is set to Enable.
The following shows an example email that is sent when a user activates an Azure AD role for the fictional Contoso organization.
Weekly PIM digest email for Azure AD roles
A weekly PIM summary email for Azure AD roles is sent to Privileged Role Administrators, Security Administrators, and Global Administrators that have enabled PIM. This weekly email provides a snapshot of PIM activities for the week as well as privileged role assignments. It is only available for tenants on the public cloud. Here's an example email:
The email includes four tiles:
|Users activated||Number of times users activated their eligible role inside the tenant.|
|Users made permanent||Number of times users with an eligible assignment is made permanent.|
|Role assignments in PIM||Number of times users are assigned an eligible role inside PIM.|
|Role assignments outside of PIM||Number of times users are assigned a permanent role outside of PIM (inside Azure AD).|
The Overview of your top roles section lists the top five roles in your tenant based on total number of permanent and eligible administrators for each role. The Take action link opens the PIM wizard where you can convert permanent administrators to eligible administrators in batches.
PIM emails for Azure resource roles
PIM sends emails to Owners and User Access Administrators when the following events occur for Azure resource roles:
- When a role assignment is pending approval
- When a role is assigned
- When a role is soon to expire
- When a role is eligible to extend
- When a role is being renewed by an end user
- When a role activation request is completed
PIM sends emails to end users when the following events occur for Azure resource roles:
- When a role is assigned to the user
- When a user's role is expired
- When a user's role is extended
- When a user's role activation request is completed
The following shows an example email that is sent when a user is assigned an Azure resource role for the fictional Contoso organization.