Tutorial: Integrate Frontline Education with Azure Active Directory
In this tutorial, you'll learn how to integrate Frontline Education with Azure Active Directory (Azure AD). When you integrate Frontline Education with Azure AD, you can:
- Control in Azure AD who has access to Frontline Education.
- Enable your users to be automatically signed-in to Frontline Education with their Azure AD accounts.
- Manage your accounts in one central location - the Azure portal.
To learn more about SaaS app integration with Azure AD, see What is application access and single sign-on with Azure Active Directory.
To get started, you need the following items:
- An Azure AD subscription. If you don't have a subscription, you can get a free account.
- Frontline Education single sign-on (SSO) enabled subscription.
In this tutorial, you configure and test Azure AD SSO in a test environment.
- Frontline Education supports SP initiated SSO
Adding Frontline Education from the gallery
To configure the integration of Frontline Education into Azure AD, you need to add Frontline Education from the gallery to your list of managed SaaS apps.
- Sign in to the Azure portal using either a work or school account, or a personal Microsoft account.
- On the left navigation pane, select the Azure Active Directory service.
- Navigate to Enterprise Applications and then select All Applications.
- To add new application, select New application.
- In the Add from the gallery section, type Frontline Education in the search box.
- Select Frontline Education from results panel and then add the app. Wait a few seconds while the app is added to your tenant.
Configure and test Azure AD single sign-on for Frontline Education
Configure and test Azure AD SSO with Frontline Education using a test user called B.Simon. For SSO to work, you need to establish a link relationship between an Azure AD user and the related user in Frontline Education.
To configure and test Azure AD SSO with Frontline Education, complete the following building blocks:
- Configure Azure AD SSO - to enable your users to use this feature.
- Configure Frontline Education SSO - to configure the Single Sign-On settings on application side.
- Create Frontline Education test user - to have a counterpart of B.Simon in Frontline Education that is linked to the Azure AD representation of user.
- Test SSO - to verify whether the configuration works.
Configure Azure AD SSO
Follow these steps to enable Azure AD SSO in the Azure portal.
In the Azure portal, on the Frontline Education application integration page, find the Manage section and select Single sign-on.
On the Select a Single sign-on method page, select SAML.
On the Set up Single Sign-On with SAML page, click the edit/pen icon for Basic SAML Configuration to edit the settings.
On the Basic SAML Configuration section, enter the values for the following fields:
In the Sign on URL text box, type a URL using the following pattern:
The Sign on URL value is not real. Update the value with the actual Sign on URL. Contact Frontline Education Client support team to get the value. You can also refer to the patterns shown in the Basic SAML Configuration section in the Azure portal.
On the Set up Single Sign-On with SAML page, In the SAML Signing Certificate section, click copy button to copy App Federation Metadata Url and save it on your computer.
Create an Azure AD test user
In this section, you'll create a test user in the Azure portal called B.Simon.
- From the left pane in the Azure portal, select Azure Active Directory, select Users, and then select All users.
- Select New user at the top of the screen.
- In the User properties, follow these steps:
- In the Name field, enter
- In the User name field, enter the firstname.lastname@example.org. For example,
- Select the Show password check box, and then write down the value that's displayed in the Password box.
- Click Create.
- In the Name field, enter
Assign the Azure AD test user
In this section, you'll enable B.Simon to use Azure single sign-on by granting access to Frontline Education.
In the Azure portal, select Enterprise Applications, and then select All applications.
In the applications list, select Frontline Education.
In the app's overview page, find the Manage section and select Users and groups.
Select Add user, then select Users and groups in the Add Assignment dialog.
In the Users and groups dialog, select B.Simon from the Users list, then click the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
If you're expecting any role value in the SAML assertion, in the Select Role dialog, select the appropriate role for the user from the list and then click the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
In the Add Assignment dialog, click the Assign button.
Configure Frontline Education SSO
To configure single sign-on on Frontline Education side, you need to send the App Federation Metadata Url to Frontline Education support team. They set this setting to have the SAML SSO connection set properly on both sides.
Create Frontline Education test user
In this section, you create a user called Britta Simon in Frontline Education. Work with Frontline Education support team to add the users in the Frontline Education platform. Users must be created and activated before you use single sign-on.
In this section, you test your Azure AD single sign-on configuration using the Access Panel.
When you click the Frontline Education tile in the Access Panel, you should be automatically signed in to the Frontline Education for which you set up SSO. For more information about the Access Panel, see Introduction to the Access Panel.