Tutorial: Azure Active Directory single sign-on (SSO) integration with Jisc Student Voter Registration
In this tutorial, you'll learn how to integrate Jisc Student Voter Registration with Azure Active Directory (Azure AD). When you integrate Jisc Student Voter Registration with Azure AD, you can:
- Control in Azure AD who has access to Jisc Student Voter Registration.
- Enable your users to be automatically signed-in to Jisc Student Voter Registration with their Azure AD accounts.
- Manage your accounts in one central location - the Azure portal.
To learn more about SaaS app integration with Azure AD, see What is application access and single sign-on with Azure Active Directory.
To get started, you need the following items:
- An Azure AD subscription. If you don't have a subscription, you can get a free account.
- Jisc Student Voter Registration single sign-on (SSO) enabled subscription.
In this tutorial, you configure and test Azure AD SSO in a test environment.
- Jisc Student Voter Registration supports SP initiated SSO
- Jisc Student Voter Registration supports Just In Time user provisioning
Adding Jisc Student Voter Registration from the gallery
To configure the integration of Jisc Student Voter Registration into Azure AD, you need to add Jisc Student Voter Registration from the gallery to your list of managed SaaS apps.
- Sign in to the Azure portal using either a work or school account, or a personal Microsoft account.
- On the left navigation pane, select the Azure Active Directory service.
- Navigate to Enterprise Applications and then select All Applications.
- To add new application, select New application.
- In the Add from the gallery section, type Jisc Student Voter Registration in the search box.
- Select Jisc Student Voter Registration from results panel and then add the app. Wait a few seconds while the app is added to your tenant.
Configure and test Azure AD single sign-on for Jisc Student Voter Registration
Configure and test Azure AD SSO with Jisc Student Voter Registration using a test user called B.Simon. For SSO to work, you need to establish a link relationship between an Azure AD user and the related user in Jisc Student Voter Registration.
To configure and test Azure AD SSO with Jisc Student Voter Registration, complete the following building blocks:
- Configure Azure AD SSO - to enable your users to use this feature.
- Configure Jisc Student Voter Registration SSO - to configure the single sign-on settings on application side.
- Create Jisc Student Voter Registration test user - to have a counterpart of B.Simon in Jisc Student Voter Registration that is linked to the Azure AD representation of user.
- Test SSO - to verify whether the configuration works.
Configure Azure AD SSO
Follow these steps to enable Azure AD SSO in the Azure portal.
In the Azure portal, on the Jisc Student Voter Registration application integration page, find the Manage section and select single sign-on.
On the Select a single sign-on method page, select SAML.
On the Set up single sign-on with SAML page, click the edit/pen icon for Basic SAML Configuration to edit the settings.
On the Basic SAML Configuration section, enter the values for the following field:
In the Sign-on URL text box, type a URL:
Jisc Student Voter Registration application expects the SAML assertions in a specific format, which requires you to add custom attribute mappings to your SAML token attributes configuration. The following screenshot shows the list of default attributes.
In addition to above, Jisc Student Voter Registration application expects few more attributes to be passed back in SAML response which are shown below. These attributes are also pre populated but you can review them as per your requirements.
Name Source Attribute postalcode user.postalcode Unique User Identifier user.objectid
On the Set up single sign-on with SAML page, in the SAML Signing Certificate section, find Federation Metadata XML and select Download to download the certificate and save it on your computer.
On the Set up Jisc Student Voter Registration section, copy the appropriate URL(s) based on your requirement.
Create an Azure AD test user
In this section, you'll create a test user in the Azure portal called B.Simon.
- From the left pane in the Azure portal, select Azure Active Directory, select Users, and then select All users.
- Select New user at the top of the screen.
- In the User properties, follow these steps:
- In the Name field, enter
- In the User name field, enter the email@example.com. For example,
- Select the Show password check box, and then write down the value that's displayed in the Password box.
- Click Create.
- In the Name field, enter
Assign the Azure AD test user
In this section, you'll enable B.Simon to use Azure single sign-on by granting access to Jisc Student Voter Registration.
In the Azure portal, select Enterprise Applications, and then select All applications.
In the applications list, select Jisc Student Voter Registration.
In the app's overview page, find the Manage section and select Users and groups.
Select Add user, then select Users and groups in the Add Assignment dialog.
In the Users and groups dialog, select B.Simon from the Users list, then click the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
If you're expecting any role value in the SAML assertion, in the Select Role dialog, select the appropriate role for the user from the list and then click the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
In the Add Assignment dialog, click the Assign button.
Configure Jisc Student Voter Registration SSO
To configure single sign-on on Jisc Student Voter Registration side, you need to send the downloaded Federation Metadata XML and appropriate copied URLs from Azure portal to Jisc Student Voter Registration support team. They set this setting to have the SAML SSO connection set properly on both sides.
Create Jisc Student Voter Registration test user
In this section, a user called B.Simon is created in Jisc Student Voter Registration. Jisc Student Voter Registration supports just-in-time user provisioning, which is enabled by default. There is no action item for you in this section. If a user doesn't already exist in Jisc Student Voter Registration, a new one is created after authentication.
In this section, you test your Azure AD single sign-on configuration using the Access Panel.
When you click the Jisc Student Voter Registration tile in the Access Panel, you should be automatically signed in to the Jisc Student Voter Registration for which you set up SSO. For more information about the Access Panel, see Introduction to the Access Panel.