How to configure notifications and notification templates in Azure API Management
API Management provides the ability to configure email notifications for specific events, and to configure the email templates that are used to communicate with the administrators and developers of an API Management instance. This article shows how to configure notifications for the available events, and provides an overview of configuring the email templates used for these events.
If you don't have an API Management service instance, complete the following quickstart: Create an Azure API Management instance.
This feature is available in the Premium, Standard, Basic, and Developer tiers of API Management.
Go to your API Management instance
In the Azure portal, search for and select API Management services.
On the API Management services page, select your API Management instance.
In the left navigation of your API Management instance, select Notifications to view the available notifications.
The following list of events can be configured for notifications.
Subscription requests (requiring approval) - The specified email recipients and users will receive email notifications about subscription requests for products requiring approval.
New subscriptions - The specified email recipients and users will receive email notifications about new product subscriptions.
Application gallery requests (deprecated) - The specified email recipients and users will receive email notifications when new applications are submitted to the application gallery on the legacy developer portal.
BCC - The specified email recipients and users will receive email blind carbon copies of all emails sent to developers.
New issue or comment (deprecated) - The specified email recipients and users will receive email notifications when a new issue or comment is submitted on the legacy developer portal.
Close account message - The specified email recipients and users will receive email notifications when an account is closed.
Approaching subscription quota limit - The specified email recipients and users will receive email notifications when subscription usage gets close to usage quota.
Select a notification, and specify one or more email addresses to be notified:
- To add the administrator email address, select + Add admin.
- To add another email address, select + Add email, enter an email address, and select Add.
- Continue adding email addresses as needed.
API Management provides notification templates for the administrative email messages that are sent automatically to developers when they access and use the service. The following notification templates are provided:
- Application gallery submission approved (deprecated)
- Developer farewell letter
- Developer quota limit approaching notification
- Developer welcome letter
- Email change notification
- Invite user
- New comment added to an issue (deprecated)
- New developer account confirmation
- New issue received (deprecated)
- New subscription activated
- Password change confirmation
- Subscription request declined
- Subscription request received
Each email template has a subject in plain text, and a body definition in HTML format. Each item can be customized as desired.
To view and configure a notification template in the portal:
In the left menu, select Notification templates.
Select a notification template, and configure the template using the editor.
- The Parameters list contains a list of parameters, which when inserted into the subject or body, will be replaced by the designated value when the email is sent.
- To insert a parameter, place the cursor where you wish the parameter to go, and select the parameter name.
To save the changes to the email template, select Save, or to cancel the changes select Discard.
Configure email settings
You can modify general email settings for notifications that are sent from your API Management instance. You can change the administrator email address, the name of the organization sending notifications, and the originating email address.
To modify email settings:
- In the left menu, select Notification templates.
- Select E-mail settings.
- On the General email settings page, enter values for:
Administrator email - the email address to receive all system notifications and other configured notifications
Organization name - the name of your organization for use in the developer portal and notifications
Originating email address - The value of the
Fromheader for notifications from the API Management instance. API Management sends notifications on behalf of this originating address.
- Select Save.
Submit and view feedback for