Introduction to App Service on Linux
Azure App Service on Linux is currently in public preview and supports running web apps natively on Linux.
Customers can use App Service on Linux to host web apps natively on Linux for supported application stacks. The following section lists the application stacks that are currently supported.
App Service on Linux currently supports the following application stacks:
- .Net Core
Customers can deploy their applications by using:
- Local Git
For application scaling:
- Customers can scale web apps up and down by changing the tier in their App Service plan.
- Customers can scale out applications and run multiple app instances within the confines of their SKU.
For Kudu, some of the basic functionality works with the following:
- Basic consoles
The Azure portal shows only features that currently work for App Service on Linux and hides the rest. As we enable more features, they will be visible on the portal.
Some features, such as virtual network integration, Azure Active Directory/third-party authentication, or Kudu site extensions, are not complete. Once we complete these features, we will update our documentation and blog about the changes.
This public preview is currently only available in the following regions:
- West US
- West Europe
- Southeast Asia
Web Apps on Linux is only supported in the Dedicated app service plans and does not have a Free or Shared tier. Also, App Service plans for regular and Linux web apps are mutually exclusive, so you cannot create a Linux web app in a non-Linux app service plan.
Web Apps on Linux must be created in a resource group that does not contain non-Linux web apps in the same region.
Web Apps on Linux does not yet support deployment of .NET Core apps from uncompiled source. You need to publish/compile your .NET Core app locally first, and then push the published site bits to your app.
See the following links to get started with App Service on Linux. You can post questions and concerns on our forum.
- Creating Web Apps in App Service on Linux
- How to use a custom Docker image for App Service on Linux
- Using PM2 Configuration for Node.js in Web Apps on Linux
- Using .NET Core in Azure App Service Web Apps on Linux
- Using Ruby in Azure App Service Web Apps on Linux
- Azure App Service Web Apps on Linux FAQ