If you'd like to see us expand this article with more information, such as potential use cases, alternative services, implementation considerations, or pricing guidance, let us know with GitHub Feedback!
Azure Bot Service with Language Understanding enables developers to create conversational interfaces for banking, travel, and entertainment commerce scenarios. For example, a hotel concierge can use a bot to enhance customer e-mail and phone call interactions. The bot validates customers with Azure Active Directory. Azure Cognitive Services is then used to contextually process customer service text and voice requests. Add the Speech service to recognize and support voice commands.
Potential use cases
This solution applies to the following scenarios:
- Travel and hospitality (such as a hotel concierge bot to enhance emails and phone calls)
- Entertainment commerce
Download an SVG of this architecture.
- The customer uses your mobile app.
- Using Azure Active Directory B2C, the customer authenticates.
- Using the custom application Bot, the customer requests information.
- Cognitive Services helps process the natural language request.
- The response is reviewed by the customer, who can refine the question using natural language.
- Once the customer is happy with the results, the Application Bot updates the reservation.
- Application Insights monitors the live application to diagnose issues and help understand how to improve Bot performance and usability.
Key technologies used to implement this architecture:
- Azure Active Directory B2C
- Azure App Service
- Azure Bot Service
- Azure Cognitive Services Language Understanding
- Azure Cognitive Services Speech Services
- Azure SQL Database
- Azure Monitor: Application Insights is a feature of Azure Monitor.
- What are Azure Cognitive Services?
- What is Language Understanding (LUIS)?
- What is the Speech service?
- What is Azure Active Directory B2C?
- Introduction to Bot Framework Composer
- What is Application Insights
Microsoft Learn modules:
- How to build a basic chatbot
- Create Intelligent Bots with the Azure Bot Service
- Create conversational AI solutions
- Add conversational intelligence to your apps by using Language Understanding Intelligent Service (LUIS)
Azure Architecture Center overview articles:
- Artificial intelligence (AI) - Architectural overview
- Choosing a Azure Cognitive Services technology
Azure Architecture Center articles describing chatbot architectures: