If you'd like to see us expand this article with more information, implementation details, pricing guidance, or code examples, let us know with GitHub Feedback!
This solution architecture illustrates a canonical architecture to achieve high availability for your Oracle Database Enterprise Edition in Azure. High availability for your front-end as well as the middle tier can be obtained by using Azure Load Balancers or Application Gateways. An uptime availability of 99.99% for your database tier can be achieved using a combination of Azure Availability Zones and Oracle Active DataGuard with FSFO. For additional availability and/or Disaster Recovery, consider deploying another Database VM in a different Azure region and schedule frequent RMAN backups.
Download an SVG of this architecture.
- The client system accesses a custom application with Oracle DB backend via the web.
- Web front end is configured in a load balancer.
- Web front end makes a call to the appropriate Application Server to handle the work.
- Application server queries primary Oracle Database.
- Oracle Database has been configured using a HyperThreaded Virtual Machine with multiple Premium storage-based Managed Disks for performance and availability.
- Oracle databases are replicated with Oracle DataGuard (or Active DataGuard) or Oracle GoldenGate for HA and DR purposes.
- Oracle databases are monitored for uptime and performance by Oracle Enterprise Manager. OEM also allows you to generate various performance and usage reports.