What is Azure SQL Edge (Preview)?
Azure SQL Edge (Preview) is an optimized relational database engine geared for IoT and IoT Edge deployments. It provides capabilities to create a high-performance data storage and processing layer for IoT applications and solutions. Azure SQL Edge provides capabilities to stream, process, and analyze relational and non-relational such as JSON, graph and time-series data, which makes it the right choice for a variety of modern IoT applications.
Azure SQL Edge is built on the latest versions of the Microsoft SQL Server Database Engine, which provides industry-leading performance, security and query processing capabilities. Since, Azure SQL Edge is built on the same engine as SQL Server and Azure SQL Database, it provides the same T-SQL programming surface area that makes development of applications or solutions easier and faster, and at the same time makes application portability between IoT Edge devices, data centers and the cloud straight forward.
Azure SQL Edge is currently in preview and as such should NOT be used in production environments.
Editions of SQL Edge
SQL Edge is available with two different editions or software plans. These editions have identical feature sets and only differ in terms of their usage rights and the amount of cpu/memory they support.
|Azure SQL Edge Developer||Development only sku, each SQL Edge container is limited to upto 4 cores and 32 GB Memory|
|Azure SQL Edge||Production sku, each SQL Edge container is limited to upto 8 cores and 64 GB Memory .|
Pricing and Availability
Azure SQL Edge is currently in preview. For more information on the pricing and availability, see Azure SQL Edge.
To understand the feature differences between Azure SQL Edge and SQL Server, as well as the differences among different Azure SQL Edge options, see Supported features of Azure SQL Edge.
Azure SQL Edge provides built in streaming capabilities for real-time analytics and complex event-processing. The streaming capability is built using the same constructs as Azure Stream Analytics and similar capabilities as Azure Stream Analytics on IoT Edge.
The streaming engine for Azure SQL Edge is designed for low-latency, resiliency, efficient use of bandwidth and compliance.
For more information on data streaming in SQL Edge, refer Data Streaming
Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence Capabilities
Azure SQL Edge provides built-in machine learning and analytics capabilities by integrating the open format ONNX (Open Neural Network Exchange) runtime, which allows exchange of deep learning and neural network models between different frameworks. For more information on ONNX, see here. ONNX runtime provides the flexibility to develop models in a language or tools of your choice, which can then be converted to the ONNX format for execution within SQL Edge. For more information, see Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence with ONNX in SQL Edge.
Working with Azure SQL Edge
Azure SQL Edge makes developing and maintaining applications easier and more productive. Users can use all the familiar tools and skills to build great apps and solutions for their IoT Edge needs. User can develop in SQL Edge using tools like the following:
- The Azure portal - A web-based application for managing all Azure services.
- SQL Server Management Studio - A free, downloadable client application for managing any SQL infrastructure, from SQL Server to SQL Database.
- SQL Server Data Tools in Visual Studio - A free, downloadable client application for developing SQL Server relational databases, SQL databases, Integration Services packages, Analysis Services data models, and Reporting Services reports.
- Azure Data Studio - A free, downloadable, cross platform database tool for data professional using the Microsoft family of on-premises and cloud data platforms on Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Visual Studio Code - A free, downloadable, open-source code editor for Windows, macOS, and Linux. It supports extensions, including the mssql extension for querying Microsoft SQL Server, Azure SQL Database, and Azure SQL Data Warehouse.