Limitations for Azure SQL Database ledger
APPLIES TO: Azure SQL Database
Azure SQL Database ledger is currently in public preview and available in West Central US.
This article provides an overview of the limitations of ledger tables used with Azure SQL Database.
|Disabling ledger database||After a ledger database is enabled, it can't be disabled.|
|Maximum number of columns||When an updatable ledger table is created, it adds four GENERATED ALWAYS columns to the ledger table. An append-only ledger table adds two columns to the ledger table. These new columns count against the maximum supported number of columns in SQL Database (1,024).|
|Restricted data types||XML, SqlVariant, User-defined type, and FILESTREAM data types aren't supported.|
|In-memory tables||In-memory tables aren't supported.|
|Sparse column sets||Sparse column sets aren't supported.|
|Ledger truncation||Deleting older data in append-only ledger tables or the history table of updatable ledger tables isn't supported.|
|Converting existing tables to ledger tables||Existing tables in a database that aren't ledger-enabled can't be converted to ledger tables.|
|Locally redundant storage (LRS) support for automated digest management||Automated digest management with ledger tables by using Azure Storage immutable blobs doesn't offer the ability for users to use LRS accounts.|
- When a ledger database is created, all new tables created by default (without specifying the
APPEND_ONLY = ONclause) in the database will be updatable ledger tables. To create append-only ledger tables, use CREATE TABLE (Transact-SQL) statements.
- Ledger tables can't be a FILETABLE.
- Ledger tables can't have full-text indexes.
- Ledger tables can't be renamed.
- Ledger tables can't be moved to a different schema.
- Only nullable columns can be added to ledger tables, and when they aren't specified WITH VALUES.
- Columns in ledger tables can't be dropped.
- Only deterministic-computed columns are allowed for ledger tables.
- Existing columns can't be altered in a way that modifies the format for this column.
- We allow changing:
- Collation for nvarchar/ntext columns and when the code page isn't changing for char/text columns.
- The length of variable length columns.
- We allow changing:
- SWITCH IN/OUT isn't allowed for ledger tables.
- Long-term backups (LTR) aren't supported for databases that have
LEDGER = ON.
- Versioning that's
SYSTEM_VERSIONINGcan't be disabled for ledger tables.
WRITETEXTAPIs can't be used on ledger tables.
- A transaction can update up to 200 ledger tables.
- For updatable ledger tables, we inherit all of the limitations of temporal tables.
- Change tracking isn't allowed on ledger tables.
- Ledger tables can't have a rowstore non-clustered index when they have a clustered columnstore index.