Create a lab in Azure DevTest Labs
A lab in Azure DevTest Labs is the infrastructure that encompasses a group of resources, such as Virtual Machines (VMs), that lets you better manage those resources by specifying limits and quotas. This article walks you through the process of creating a lab using the Azure portal.
To create a lab, you need:
- An Azure subscription. To learn about Azure purchase options, see How to buy Azure or Free one-month trial. You must be the owner of the subscription to create the lab.
Steps to create a lab in Azure DevTest Labs
The following steps illustrate how to use the Azure portal to create a lab in Azure DevTest Labs.
- Sign in to the Azure portal.
From the main menu on the left side, select More Services (at the bottom of the list).
From the list of available services, DevTest Labs.
In the DevTest Labs area, select Add.
Under Create a DevTest Lab:
- Enter a Lab Name for the new lab.
- Select the Subscription to associate with the lab.
- Select a Location in which to store the lab.
- Select Auto-shutdown to specify if you want to enable - and define the parameters for - the automatic shutting down of all the lab's VMs. The auto-shutdown feature is mainly a cost-saving feature whereby you can specify when you want the VM to automatically be shut down. You can change auto-shutdown settings after creating the lab by following the steps outlined in the article Manage all policies for a lab in Azure DevTest Labs.
- Enter NAME and VALUE information for Tags if you want to create custom tagging that is added to every resource you will create in the lab. Tags are useful to help you manage and organize lab resources by category. For more information about tags, including how to add tags after creating the lab, see Add tags to a lab.
- Select Pin to Dashboard if you want a shortcut of the lab to appear on the portal dashboard.
- Select Automation options to get Azure Resource Manager templates for configuration automation.
Select Create. You can monitor the status of the lab creation process by watching the Notifications area. Once completed, refresh the page to see the newly created lab in the list of labs.
Get started with Azure DevTest Labs
New to Azure? Create a free Azure account.
Already on Azure? Get started with your first lab in DevTest Labs!
Once you've created your lab, here are some next steps to consider: