Install or update Mono on HDInsight
Learn how to install a specific version of Mono on HDInsight 3.4 or higher.
Mono is installed on HDInsight 3.4 and higher, and is used to run .NET applications. For information on the version of Mono included with each HDInsight version, see HDInsight component versioning. To install a different version on your cluster, use the script action in this document.
How it works
This script accepts the following parameter:
- Mono version number: The version of Mono to install. The version must be available from https://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian/dists/wheezy/snapshots/.
The script installs the following Mono packages:
- The script must be applied on the head nodes and worker nodes.
To use the script
For information on how to use this script with HDInsight, see the Customize Linux-based HDInsight clusters using script action document. You can use the script through the Azure portal, Azure PowerShell, or the Azure CLI.
While following the script action document, use the following URI:
To specify the Mono version that is installed, use the version number in the Parameters field. For example, enter
5.4 to install Mono 5.4.
When configuring HDInsight with this script, mark the script as Persisted. This setting allows HDInsight to apply the script to worker nodes added through scaling operations.
You have learned how to upgrade or install a specific version of Mono on HDInsight. For more information on using .NET applications with Mono on HDInsight, see the following documents:
- Use .NET for streaming MapReduce on HDInsight
- Use .NET with Hive and Pig on HDInsight
- Develop C# solutions with Storm on HDInsight
- Migrate .NET solutions to Linux-based HDInsight
For more information on using script actions, see Customize Linux-based HDInsight clusters using script action