Limitations in Azure Database for PostgreSQL - Single Server
The following sections describe capacity and functional limits in the database service.
The maximum number of connections per pricing tier and vCores are as follows:
|Pricing Tier||vCore(s)||Max Connections|
When connections exceed the limit, you may receive the following error:
FATAL: sorry, too many clients already
The Azure system requires five connections to monitor the Azure Database for PostgreSQL server.
- Dynamic scaling to and from the Basic pricing tiers is currently not supported.
- Decreasing server storage size is currently not supported.
Server version upgrades
- Automated migration between major database engine versions is currently not supported. If you would like to upgrade to the next major version, take a dump and restore it to a server that was created with the new engine version.
VNet service endpoints
- Support for VNet service endpoints is only for General Purpose and Memory Optimized servers.
Restoring a server
- When using the PITR feature, the new server is created with the same pricing tier configurations as the server it is based on.
- The new server created during a restore does not have the firewall rules that existed on the original server. Firewall rules need to be set up separately for this new server.
- Restoring a deleted server is not supported.
UTF-8 characters on Windows
- In some scenarios, UTF-8 characters are not supported fully in open source PostgreSQL on Windows, which affects Azure Database for PostgreSQL. Please see the thread on Bug #15476 in the postgresql-archive for more information.
Send feedback about: