Limitations in Azure Database for PostgreSQL
The following sections describe capacity and functional limits in the database service.
The maximum number of connections per pricing tier and vCores are as follows:
|Pricing Tier||vCore(s)||Max Connections|
When connections exceed the limit, you may receive the following error:
FATAL: sorry, too many clients already
The Azure system requires five connections to monitor the Azure Database for PostgreSQL server.
- Dynamic scaling to and from the Basic pricing tiers is currently not supported.
- Decreasing server storage size is currently not supported.
Server version upgrades
- Automated migration between major database engine versions is currently not supported. If you would like to upgrade to the next major version, take a dump and restore it to a server that was created with the new engine version.
VNet service endpoints
- Support for VNet service endpoints is only for General Purpose and Memory Optimized servers.
Restoring a server
- When using the PITR feature, the new server is created with the same pricing tier configurations as the server it is based on.
- The new server created during a restore does not have the firewall rules that existed on the original server. Firewall rules need to be set up separately for this new server.
- Restoring a deleted server is not supported.
UTF-8 characters on Windows
- In some scenarios, UTF-8 characters are not supported fully in open source PostgreSQL on Windows, which affects Azure Database for PostgreSQL. Please see the thread on Bug #15476 in the postgresql-archive for more information.
We'd love to hear your thoughts. Choose the type you'd like to provide:
Our feedback system is built on GitHub Issues. Read more on our blog.