This chapter lists the minimum system requirements to work with Azure Remote Rendering (ARR).
- Windows 10 version 1903 or higher.
- Up-to-date graphics drivers.
- Optional: H265 hardware video decoder, if you want to use local preview of remotely rendered content (for example in Unity).
Windows update doesn't always deliver the very latest GPU drivers, check your GPU manufacturer's website for latest drivers:
The table below lists which GPUs support H265 hardware video decoding.
|GPU manufacturer||Supported models|
|NVIDIA||Check the NVDEC Support Matrix at the bottom of this page. Your GPU needs a YES in the H.265 4:2:0 8-bit column.|
|AMD||GPUs with at least version 6 of AMD's Unified Video Decoder.|
|Intel||Skylake and newer CPUs|
Even though the correct H265 codec might be installed, security properties on the codec DLLs may cause codec initialization failures. The troubleshooting guide describes steps how to solve this problem. The DLL issue can only occur when using the service in a desktop application, for instance in Unity.
Azure Remote Rendering currently only supports HoloLens 2 and Windows desktop as a target device. See the platform limitations section.
It's important to use the latest HEVC codec, as newer versions have significant improvements in latency. To check which version is installed on your device:
- Start the Microsoft Store.
- Click the "..." button in the top right.
- Select Downloads and Updates.
- Search the list for HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer.
- Make sure the listed codec has at least version 1.0.21821.0.
- Click the Get Updates button and wait for it to install.
A stable, low-latency network connection is critical for a good user experience.
See dedicated chapter for network requirements.
For troubleshooting network issues, refer to the Troubleshooting Guide.
The following software must be installed:
- The latest version of Visual Studio 2019 (download)
- Windows SDK 10.0.18362.0 (download)
- GIT (download)
- Optional: To view the video stream from the server on a desktop PC, you need the HEVC Video Extensions (Microsoft Store link).
For development with Unity, install
- Unity 2019.3.1 (download)
- Install these modules in Unity:
- UWP - Universal Windows Platform Build Support
- IL2CPP - Windows Build Support (IL2CPP)