Quickstart: Create an Azure Synapse workspace using an ARM template
This Azure Resource Manager template (ARM template) will create an Azure Synapse workspace with underlying Data Lake Storage. The Azure Synapse workspace is a securable collaboration boundary for analytics processes in Azure Synapse Analytics.
If your environment meets the prerequisites and you're familiar with using ARM templates, select the Deploy to Azure button. The template will open in the Azure portal.
If you don't have an Azure subscription, create a free account before you begin.
Review the template
You can review the template by selecting the Visualize link. Then select Edit template.
The template defines two resources:
- Storage account
Deploy the template
Select the following image to sign in to Azure and open the template. This template creates a Synapse workspace.
Enter or update the following values:
- Subscription: Select an Azure subscription.
- Resource group: Select Create new and enter a unique name for the resource group and select OK. A new resource group will facilitate resource clean up.
- Region: Select a region. For example, Central US.
- Name: Enter a name for your workspace.
- SQL Administrator login: Enter the administrator username for the SQL Server.
- SQL Administrator password: Enter the administrator password for the SQL Server.
- Tag Values: Accept the default.
- Review and Create: Select.
- Create: Select.
To learn more about Azure Synapse Analytics and Azure Resource Manager, continue on to the articles below.