Connect with the Windows Desktop client
Applies to: Windows 7, Windows 10, and Windows 10 IoT Enterprise
You can access Windows Virtual Desktop resources on devices with Windows 7, Windows 10, and Windows 10 IoT Enterprise using the Windows Desktop client.
Windows Virtual Desktop doesn't support the RemoteApp and Desktop Connections (RADC) client or the Remote Desktop Connection (MSTSC) client.
Install the Windows Desktop client
Choose the client that matches your version of Windows:
You can install the client for the current user, which doesn't require admin rights, or your admin can install and configure the client so that all users on the device can access it.
Once installed, the client can be launched from the Start menu by searching for Remote Desktop.
Subscribe to a feed
Get the list of managed resources available to you by subscribing to the feed provided by your admin. Subscribing makes the resources available on your local PC.
To subscribe to a feed:
- Open the Windows Desktop client.
- Select Subscribe on the main page to connect to the service and retrieve your resources.
- Sign in with your user account when prompted.
After you successfully sign in, you should see a list of the resources you can access.
You can launch resources by one of two methods.
- From the client's main page, double-click a resource to launch it.
- Launch a resource as you normally would other apps from the Start Menu.
- You can also search for the apps in the search bar.
Once subscribed to a feed, the content of the feed is updated automatically on a regular basis. Resources may be added, changed, or removed based on changes made by your administrator.
To learn more about how to use the Windows Desktop client, check out Get started with the Windows Desktop client.