Install Bot Framework Composer
APPLIES TO: Composer v1.x and v2.x
Get started with Bot Framework Composer by installing the desktop application for your preferred operating system (OS). For more advanced scenarios where you wish to customize Composer, you can build Composer from source.
Composer is optimized for
x64 architectures on Windows, macOS, and Linux. For more information, see Recommended operating systems and architectures.
Use the tabs below to select an operating system and download Composer.
Before you get started, you'll need:
When you create a new project, Composer will warn you if the required prerequisites aren't installed.
Install and run Composer
Follow these instructions to install and run Composer.
- Launch the Composer installer. Then follow the instructions provided by the install wizard.
- Choose who can access Composer. Then select Next.
- Select a location to install Composer. Then select Install. Installation will take a few minutes.
- Select Finish to close the installation wizard.
- Select the Composer icon to start the application and enjoy your bot-building journey!
Enable auto updates
You can enable auto updates from Composer's Application Settings page. When auto updates are enabled, Composer will check for and install updates each time it's closed. Follow these steps to enable auto updates:
- Select Composer settings from the main menu.
- Select Application Settings.
- Locate Auto update in the Application updates section. Set the toggle to On.
- That's it. Auto updates are now enabled for Composer.
If you'd like to learn more about Composer settings, see Application settings.
Manually update Composer
If you prefer to manually update Composer, follow these steps:
- To check for updates, select Help from Composer's top menu bar, then select Check for updates.
- The New update available window shows the most recent Composer version. There are two update options available: Install the update and restart Composer and Download now and install when you close Composer. Select the option that meets your needs.
- After you see the Update complete window, select Okay to reinstall and restart Composer.
- Go through the installation wizard to install the new version of Composer on your computer.
If you have an older version of Composer and want to update to the latest stable release, see Bot Framework Composer releases.
Use nightly builds
You may want to try new features as soon as they are available, and you can do this with nightly builds. Follow these instructions to check for and use the nightly builds.
The nightly builds include pre-release features and may change how some operations are performed. The Composer documentation supports the latest stable release of Composer, and some aspects of the nightly builds may not work as described in the documentation. For more information about nightly builds, see Application settings.
- Select Composer settings from the main menu then select Application Settings.
- In the Application Updates section, set Early adopters to On.
- Go to the application's menu bar and select Help, then select Check for Updates. You will see the most recent nightly build available.
- Follow the installation wizard to install the most recent nightly build of Composer on your computer.
In this article, you learned how to install Composer for your preferred OS. Next, learn how to build your first Bot with Composer.