Create application groups
Applies to: Configuration Manager (current branch)
Starting in version 1906, create a group of applications that you can send to a user or device collection as a single deployment. The metadata you specify about the app group is seen in Software Center as a single entity. You can order the apps in the group so that the client installs them in a specific order.
In this version of Configuration Manager, app groups are a pre-release feature. To enable it, see Pre-release features.
In the Configuration Manager console, go to the Software Library workspace. Expand Application Management and select the Application Group node.
In the Create group in the ribbon, select Create Application Group.
On the General Information page, specify information about the app group.
On the Software Center page, include information that shows in Software Center.
On the Application Group page, select Add. Select one or more apps for this group. Reorder them using the Move Up and Move Down actions.
Complete the wizard.
Deploy the app group using the same process as for an application. For more information, see Deploy applications. Starting in version 1910, you can deploy an app group to device or user collections.
After you deploy the group:
If you add a new app to the group, you have to separately distribute the new app content to distribution points.
If you modify an app in the app group, redistribute the content.
To troubleshoot an app group deployment, use the following log files on the client:
Don't create or deploy an app group until you update the entire hierarchy and targeted clients to at least version 1906.
- Apps in the group can only contain Windows Installer or Script deployment types.
- Version 1906: Set the deployment type installation behavior to Install for system.
- The following deployment options may not work: alerts, approval, phased deployment, repair.
- You can't export or import app groups.
- Version 1906: You can't deploy the app group to a user collection.
- Version 1906: Users can't Uninstall the app group in Software Center.