Overview of the Volume License (VL) Serializer
Applies to: Office 2019 for Mac
The Volume Serializer (VL) is used to activate Office 2019 for Mac as a volume licensed version. It's an approximately 4 mb package file that you run on a user's computer, either before or after you've installed Office.
Download the Volume License (VL) Serializer from the VLSC
To download the VL Serializer, do the following steps:
- Sign in to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
- Select the Download and Keys tab.
- Search for "Office 2019 for Mac Standard."
- Select the Download link in the results panel.
- Select the Continue button at the bottom of the window.
- Select the icon (circle with download arrow) to download the VL Serializer .iso file.
- Once the download is complete, mount the .iso file to extract the VL Serializer package file.
The name of the package file is Microsoft_Office_2019_VL_Serializer.pkg.
Then, deploy and run the VL Serializer package file on each computer that you want to activate Office as a volume licensed version.
Volume licensed versions of Office 2019 for Mac have version numbers of 16.17 or higher.
Additional information about the VL Serializer
- The volume license is located in the /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.office.licensingV2.plist directory.
- The licensing plist generated by the VL Serializer contains data that's encrypted by using the serial number of the boot drive on the computer where it was generated. Upon each Office application launch, the plist is decrypted by using the current boot drive serial number as the decryption key. If the data cannot be decrypted (for example, boot drive serial number is different), Office will go into an unlicensed state without warning.
- Because the license plist file is encrypted using information from the computer on which it's installed, you can't copy it to a different computer to activate Office on that computer.
- There's a single VL Serializer package that contains a single key that's shared between all volume licensed customer installations.
- The VL Serializer package contains a binary executable that's named "Microsoft Office Setup Assistant." It's this executable that actually activates the volume license.
- The VL Serializer package is compatible with mobile device management (MDM) servers such as Microsoft Intune, Jamf Pro, or FileWave.