Get the Windows 10X development tools
We recently announced some changes in the prioritization for Windows 10 and Windows 10X. These announcements include changes to the Windows 10X form factor priorities. Read more here.
This article describes functionality and guidance that is in public preview and may be substantially modified before it's generally available. Microsoft makes no warranties, express or implied, with respect to the information provided here. The functionality and APIs described here are available in the emulator image and SDK version listed on the Get Windows dev tools page, but may not be available elsewhere.
In order to get started building, testing and debugging your apps for Windows 10X, you first need to become a Windows Insider. Sign up at https://insider.windows.com (choose For Developers in the top navigation). Then, from a machine running the latest Windows Insider build, you can download and install the necessary tools listed here.
(You can run the emulator and test existing apps without using a Windows Insider build, but you'll need to use a Windows Insider build and Insider Preview SDK to use the latest APIs for dual-screen development.)
Visual Studio and Windows SDK
Use Visual Studio and the Windows 10 SDK Insider Preview to create apps for Windows 10X devices.
- Download and install the latest Visual Studio 2019 or Visual Studio 2019 Preview.
- For installation instructions, see install Visual Studio.
- Download and install the latest emulator-compatible version of Windows 10 SDK Insider Preview
- The SDK build number must be no greater than the emulator build number.
Get the Microsoft Emulator and Windows 10X Emulator Image
Install the Microsoft Emulator and the Windows 10X Emulator Image Preview from the Microsoft Store. (These links will open the Microsoft Store app if it's installed on your computer.)
Microsoft Emulator system requirements
The Microsoft Emulator uses Hyper-V with GPU-PV for hardware accelerated graphics. To use the emulator, make sure your PC meets the following requirements:
Supported Operating Systems
- 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education
- Windows Insider Preview build 10.0.19555 or later.
The Windows 10X Emulator Image (build 19578 or higher) includes a new EULA that no longer requires it to be installed on an Insider Preview version of Windows. You can install it on Windows 10 version 10.0.17763.0 or higher to test existing apps on the dual-screen device emulator.
In order to use an Insider Preview SDK, you must set up your dev environment on an Insider Preview version of Windows.
- Intel® CPU with at least 4 cores you can dedicate to emulator (or multiple CPUs with a total of 4 cores)
- 8 GB of RAM or more, 4 GB of RAM for emulator
- 15 GB of free disk space for vhdx + diff disk, SSD recommended
- Dedicated video card recommended
- DirectX 11.0 or later
- WDDM 2.4 graphics driver or later
In the BIOS, the following features must be supported and enabled:
- Hardware-assisted virtualization
- Second Level Address Translation (SLAT)
- Hardware-based Data Execution Prevention (DEP)
If your system meets the requirements listed above, ensure that the "Hyper-V" feature has been enabled on your system through Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features on or off -> ensure that "Hyper-V" is selected for the Emulator installation to be successful.
AMD processors are not supported at this time. Nested virtualization is required to run Windows 10X in the emulator and Windows does not yet support this on AMD processors. Stay tuned!