How to: Sell Assemble-to-Order Items and Inventory Items Together
If the Assembly Policy field on the item card of an assembly item contains Assemble-to-Stock, then the default sales order process assumes that the item is already assembled and can be picked from inventory, if it is available. Therefore, no assembly order is automatically created and linked to the sales order line. However, if a part (or all) of the quantity is not available, then you have the flexibility to create an assembly order for the remaining quantity by filling in the Qty. to Assemble to Order field on the sales order line. In this manner, you can assemble the item to order although it is set up to be assembled to stock by default.
Similar flexibility exists when you are selling items to be assembled to the order and a part of the quantity is in inventory, which you want to deduct from the assembly order. For more information, see How to: Sell Inventory Items in Assemble-to-Order Flows.
Certain rules apply to the Qty. to Ship field on sales order lines that contain a combination of assemble-to-order quantities and inventory quantities. For more information, see the Combination Scenarios section in Understanding Assemble to Order and Assemble to Stock.
The following procedure does not include the standard sales order steps that you need to follow before you create an assembly order for unavailable quantities.
To sell assemble-to-order items and inventory items together
- On a sales order line for an item that is set up to be assembled to stock, enter a quantity in the Quantity field that exceeds inventory. The Check Availability window appears. For more information, see How to: View the Availability of Items.
- Note the Total Quantity field (a negative value), which you will enter in the next step.
- In the Qty. to Assemble to Order field, enter the value from the previous step.
- Perform any changes to the assembly components. For more information, see How to: Sell Items Assembled to Order.
- Proceed to release the sales order, to prepare it for picking of the inventory items and for assembly of the unavailable items. For more information about these standard assembly steps, see How to: Assemble Items.
The Bin Code field on the sales order may be prefilled according to the Assemble-to-Order Shpt. Bin Code field or the From-Assembly Bin Code field on the location card. In that case, the Bin Code field on the sales order line may be incorrect in this combination of assemble-to-order and assemble-to-stock quantities. It is a good idea to examine the Bin Code field and make sure that the placement works for all quantities. Alternatively, enter the two different quantities on separate sales order lines.