Additional dimensions in Item Tracking as foundation for vertical solutions
|Enabled for||Public preview||General availability|
|Admins, makers, marketers, or analysts, automatically||Mar 1, 2021||Apr 1, 2021|
With 2021 release wave 1, we introduce Package No., support for a third dimension for item tracking that you can use as is to keep track of simple WMS packages or pallets, or which you can use as a foundation for advanced vertical solutions.
For business users
- Enable Feature Update: Use tracking by package number in reservation and tracking system on the Feature Management page to activate this functionality and make fields and actions visible.
- Specify exactly how you want to track items on the Item Tracking Code page, in the Package section. It follows the same principles and limitations as lot tracking.
- Choose the Package Caption field on the Inventory Setup page to replace the default term package with another that better fits your processes, such as Container, License Plate, or Pallet.
For ISV developers
Here is the list of changes and possibilities for extension in the Item Tracking area with recommendations for developers:
- The item tracking code now relies on the new Item Tracking Setup table instead of the Serial/Lot Nos table. Extend the new table with additional fields if you want to pass additional parameters.
- The Package No. field was added to various item tracking tables, including Tracking Specification, Reservation Entry, and Item Ledger Entry. See the full list of item tracking-enabled tables below.
- All business logic for package tracking is implemented with a subscriber model, as you can see in the Package Management codeunit.
OnAfterevents, such as
OnAfterTrackingExist, in tracking-related tables to add your code in subscribers.
- CaptionClass ‘6,X’ allows user-defined captions and is added to all package tracking fields. Remember to use it with fields that you add with your solution.
- Visibility of package tracking fields and actions is managed by the feature key PackageTracking. Use the procedure
PackageManagement.IsEnabled()to check and manage the visibility of package fields programmatically.
- The Custom Declaration feature from Russian localization was reworked to use package tracking and is now implemented as the Custom Declaration Tracking extension. Take a look at it if you need a real-life sample for a tracking solution that is based on package tracking. Find the extension on the product media for the Russian version.
- Add more fields to the Package No. Information for advanced solutions, such as for quality management.
Item tracking tables
Here are the tables in the base application where the item tracking fields Serial No., Lot No., and Package No. have been added: