What is an Add-on app?
An Add-on app extends the experience and the existing functionality of Dynamics 365 Business Central. Add-on apps can be used in multiple scenarios, whether it is to integrate to online services, making custom web services, adding business functionality, or extending the user interface.
Add-on apps are developed using Extensions version 2.0 and the modern development tools based on Visual Studio Code. Add-on apps can be published through Microsoft AppSource, as configurable pre-built apps that can be applied on individual customer environments in Dynamics 365 Business Central.
Examples of some of the current Add-on apps on AppSource are:
- This Add-on app adds Dynamics 365 Business Central to webshops, generally useful for companies selling items or services.
- Shopify is a complete e-commerce solution that allows companies to set up an online store to sell their goods combined with the business process flows of the cutting edge ERP-system Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central.
- This Add-on app adds a point of sales cashier, useful for front office sales.
- LS Express is designed for small retail companies that need to maintain accurate financial accounts, manage large inventories and live up to the expectations of today's customers. LS Express is a complete online POS system, natively integrated with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central.
How do I develop an Add-on app?
Add-on apps are created using the AL language in Visual Studio Code, which needs to be installed locally or on a Virtual Machine. The source code for your Add-on app is file-based, and we recommend that you set up a repository in a source code management system like GitHub. For more information on getting started with AL, see Getting Started with AL.
To ease the development phase of Add-on aps we have created a video series to help you each step of the way. Learn more by consuming the content in the below video series:
- How do I add a field in an extension?
- How do I add a relation to a foreign table?
- How do I connect to web services in an extension?
- How do I add AL code to an extension?
- How do I upgrade logic to an extension?
How do I get my Add-on app published in Microsoft AppSource?
To ease your journey, from the initial idea submission to the final publication, we have created a guide that you can lean on throughout the process of bringing your app to AppSource. The guide consists of two documents that outline all the steps that must be taken to get your app to go live on the platform. You need to complete the steps in the given order to pass the different validation stages and getting your app published on AppSource. Learn more here:
- Getting you started with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Add-on Apps.
- Developing and publishing Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Add-on Apps.
Build Your Business on Dynamics 365 Business Central
Integrate a 3rd Party Solution
Development of a Vertical Solution
Development of a Horizontal Solution
Development of a Localization Solution
Resell Different Solutions