Configure BOPIS in a Dynamics 365 Commerce evaluation environment
Dynamics 365 Retail is now Dynamics 365 Commerce - offering comprehensive omnichannel commerce across e-Commerce, in-store, and call center. For more information about these changes, see Microsoft Dynamics 365 Commerce.
This topic explains how to configure buy online, pickup in store (BOPIS) in a Microsoft Dynamics 365 Commerce evaluation environment after the environment has been provisioned.
Complete the procedures in this topic only after your Commerce evaluation environment has been provisioned and configured. For information about how to provision and configure your environment, see Provision a Dynamics 365 Commerce evaluation environment and Configure a Dynamics 365 Commerce evaluation environment.
After your Commerce environment has been provisioned and configured end to end, you can use this topic to enable BOPIS scenarios.
Configure the POS
Configure Modern POS
BOPIS scenarios that involve a credit card payment require a hardware station. The hardware station is built into Modern POS for Windows and Android clients. If you're using Cloud POS or Modern POS for iOS, the point of sale (POS) client must be paired with a shared hardware station. This topic explains how to configure BOPIS for Windows and Android clients. For information about how to set up a shared hardware station, see Configure and install Retail hardware station.
- Go to Retail and Commerce > Channel setup > POS setup > Registers.
- Select register SANFRAN-5, and then select Edit.
- Change the value of the Hardware profile field from HW002 to HW001, and then select Save.
- To synchronize the changes, go to Retail and Commerce > Retail and Commerce IT > Distribution schedule.
- Select distribution schedule 1090, and then, on the Action Pane, select Run now.
- Select Yes and then OK to initiate data synchronization.
Install Modern POS
Go to Retail and Commerce > Channel setup > POS setup > Devices.
Select device SANFRANCIS-5.
On the Action Pane, select Download, and then select Configuration file.
Select Download, and then select Retail Modern POS.
When download of the ModernPOSSetup.exe file is completed, select Open file.
Select Next to go through the installation process. When installation is completed, select Close.
Activate Modern POS
On the Windows desktop, select the Start button, and enter Retail Modern POS.
Select the Retail Modern POS application to initiate activation.
Select Next. The Server URL, Device ID, and Register number fields should be preset by using information from the configuration file that you downloaded in the previous procedure.
An authentication dialog box appears. Select the account that uses the email address that was previously associated with worker 000713 - Andrew Collette.
If you haven't yet associated a worker with your identity, activation will be unsuccessful. In this case, follow the steps under the "Associate a worker with your identity" section in the Configure a Dynamics 365 Commerce evaluation environment topic.
When you're prompted to let your organization manage the device, select This app only.
When activation is completed, select Get started.
Enable BOPIS in Modern POS
- Sign in to Modern POS by using 000713 as the operator ID and 123 as the password.
- While the introductory walkthrough video is playing, select the two check boxes in the lower-left corner of the dialog box, and then close the dialog box.
- If you aren't prompted to close the shift, scroll to the right on the Welcome page, select Close shift, and then sign back in to the POS.
- After you're signed in, when you're prompted, select Perform a non-drawer operation.
- On the Welcome page, scroll to the right, and select the Select hardware station operation.
- Select Manage, set the Use hardware station option to On, and then select OK.
- Sign out of the POS, and then sign back in.
- After you're signed in, select Open a new shift, and then select Drawer.
Complete a BOPIS scenario
Create a storefront order for in-store pickup
Go to the URL that you specified in the Initialize e-Commerce step during environment configuration.
Select an item, and select Add to cart.
On the shopping bag page, select Pick this up for the order line that you just added.
In the Select a store dialog box, enter San Francisco, and then select the Search button.
In the list of results, find the San Francisco store, and select Pick up here.
On the shopping bag page, select Checkout as Guest.
To continue with checkout, you must accept the cookie notice. This notice appears as a banner at the top of the checkout page.
For the credit card payment method, enter the following details:
- Cardholder name: Enter any name.
- Card number: Enter 4111-1111-1111-1111.
- Expiration date: Enter 10/20.
- Card verification value (CVV) code: Enter 737.
Never, under any circumstances, try to use actual credit card information on the test site.
Continue with checkout by entering details of the billing address, and then select Save and continue.
When the order is ready to be placed, select Checkout.
Synchronize online orders to the back office
For information about how to synchronize online orders, see Posting of online sales and payments.
Pick up an order in the store
Sign in to the POS.
On the Welcome screen, select Order fulfillment
In the list of items for pickup, select the line from the order that was placed online.
While the order line is selected, select Pick up.
The line item is added to the transaction screen, and $0.00 is shown as the balance that is due.
Select the balance due of $0.00, or select any payment method to conclude the transaction.
Online orders that are retrieved in the POS have a non-zero balance due
When an order is retrieved for in-store pickup, if the balance due isn't 0 (zero), make sure that Modern POS is being used, and that the hardware station is active. If Cloud POS or Modern POS for iOS is being used, make sure that a shared hardware station is active. Some form of active hardware station is required to retrieve payments that were made online.
General issues with payment capture
For all general issues, you should always consult the Modern POS or Internet Information Services (IIS) Hardware Station event logs as a first step. You can find these logs under the following nodes in the Windows event log:
- Application and Services Logs > Microsoft > Dynamics > Commerce-ModernPOS
- Application and Services Logs > Microsoft > Dynamics > Commerce-Hardware Station