Send email receipts from Modern POS (MPOS)
In Modern Point of Sale (MPOS), you can send receipt emails when a transaction is tendered at the point of sale (POS).
To send email receipts, you must configure a Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) server.
Set up email receipts
Set default options for email receipts
Select Retail and Commerce > Headquarters setup > Parameters > Commerce parameters.
On the Posting tab, on the Email receipt FastTab, in the Receipt option field, select a default option:
- Standard receipt – Print receipts from the POS register.
- Email – Send receipts to customers in email messages.
- Both – Print receipts from the POS register, and send receipts to customers in email messages.
In the Subject field, enter the text that should appear by default on the subject line of a receipt that is sent as an email message.
Set email receipt options for a customer
Go to Retail and Commerce > Customers > All customers.
On the All customers list page, select a customer, and then select Edit.
On the customer details page, on the Commerce FastTab, in the Receipt option field, select an option:
- Standard receipt – The customer will receive only printed receipts. The printed receipt is generated from the POS register.
- Email – The customer will receive only email receipts.
- Both – The customer will receive both printed receipts and email receipts.
If you selected either Email or Both in the Receipt option field, enter the customer's email address in the Receipt email field.
Set up an email receipt profile
- Go to Retail and Commerce > Channel setup > POS setup > POS profiles > Receipt profiles.
- Select Ctrl+N to create a receipt profile.
- Enter values in the Receipt profile ID and Description fields.
- On the General FastTab, select Add to add a receipt type.
- Select Receipt as the receipt type, and select the receipt format to use for email receipts.
Add an email receipt profile to the functionality profile
- Go to Retail and Commerce > Channel setup > POS setup > POS profiles > Functionality profiles.
- Select Edit.
- On the General FastTab, in the Receipt profile ID field, specify an email receipt profile.
Set up an email template for receipts
Go to Organization email templates under either Retail and Commerce > Headquarters setup > Setup > Organization email templates or Organization administration > Setup > Organization email templates.
Enter information in the following fields:
- In the Email ID field, enter a name for the template.
- In the Email description field, enter an optional description.
- In the Sender name field, specify the name that should appear as the sender of the email. Customers will see this name as the From name on the email.
- In the Sender email field, specify a valid email address. Customers will see this email address as the From email address on the email.
Under General, in the Default language code field, select a language. The receipt will be sent in this language if templates for multiple languages are configured, and the store's or customer's preferred language doesn't match any of those additional languages.
In the Email message content pane, select New to create a new template instance. Enter information in the following fields:
- In the Language field, specify the language this template will be localized in. Note that this only applies to emailed receipts that contain HTML with static content above and/or below the %message% placeholder.
- In the Subject field, enter a title for the email receipts.
- Select the Has body check box.
- Select Edit to upload your template HTML. At a minimum, your template instance must contain the following code:
<pre> %message% </pre>
You can also add HTML to show a header, footer, logo, or any other static content that you want to include in the receipt email. For more information about how to create HTML receipt templates, see Create a template for emailed receipts.
Depending on the settings that you configured, you must run the appropriate distribution schedule jobs to synchronize the changes to MPOS.
- 1010 – Customer
- 1070 – Channel configuration
- 1090 – Registers
- 1110 – Global configuration
Insert bar codes or QR codes in emailed receipts
You can insert QR codes or bar codes that represent order IDs into transactional and receipt emails. For more information, see Add a QR code or bar code to a receipt email.
After the changes are synchronized to the store, MPOS prompts the user for an email address for each transaction (if this feature is enabled). If an email address is already on file for the customer, that address appears in the email address prompt. If a customer hasn't been named, or if an email address hasn't been entered for a named customer, enter an email address, and then select Send. When the transaction is finalized, the real-time service will send the customer an email that has the receipt in the body of the message, as you configured earlier.