Provision a Dynamics 365 Commerce evaluation environment
Dynamics 365 Retail is now Dynamics 365 Commerce - offering comprehensive omnichannel commerce across e-Commerce, in-store, and call center. For more information about these changes, see Microsoft Dynamics 365 Commerce.
This topic explains how to provision a Microsoft Dynamics 365 Commerce evaluation environment.
Before you begin, we recommend that you take a quick scan through this topic to get an idea of what the process requires.
Commerce evaluation environments aren't generally available, and are granted to partners and customers on a per-request basis. For more information, reach out to your Microsoft partner contact.
To successfully provision a Commerce evaluation environment, you must create a project that has a specific product name and type. The environment and Commerce Scale Unit (CSU) also have some specific parameters that you must use when you expect to provision e-Commerce later. The instructions in this topic describe all the steps that are required to complete provisioning and the parameters that you must use.
After you successfully provision your Commerce evaluation environment, you must complete a few post-provisioning steps to prepare it for use. Some steps are optional, depending on the aspects of the system that you want to evaluate. You can always complete the optional steps later.
For information about how to configure your Commerce evaluation environment after you provision it, see Configure a Commerce evaluation environment. For information about how to configure optional features for your Commerce evaluation environment, see Configure optional features for a Commerce evaluation environment.
The following prerequisites must be in place before you can provision your Commerce evaluation environment:
- You have access to the Microsoft Dynamics Lifecycle Services (LCS) portal.
- You are an existing Microsoft Dynamics 365 partner or customer and are able to create a Dynamics 365 Commerce project.
- You have administrator access to your Microsoft Azure subscription, or you're in contact with a subscription administrator who can assist you if required.
- You have your Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) tenant ID available.
- You've created an Azure AD security group that can be used as an e-Commerce system admin group, and you have its ID available.
- You've created an Azure AD security group that can be used as a Ratings and Reviews moderator group, and you have its ID available. (This security group can be the same as the e-Commerce system admin group.)
Note that this list isn't exhaustive. If you experience any issues, reach out to your Microsoft partner contact for assistance.
Provision your Commerce evaluation environment
These procedures explain how to provision a Commerce evaluation environment. After you successfully complete them, the Commerce evaluation environment will be ready for configuration. All the activities that are described here occur in the LCS portal.
Create a new project
To create a new project in LCS, follow these steps.
On the LCS home page, select the plus sign (+) to create a project.
In the right pane, follow one of these steps:
- If you're a partner, select Migrate, create solutions, and learn.
- If you're a customer, select Prospective presales.
Enter a name, description, and industry.
In the Product name field, select Dynamics 365 Commerce.
In the Product version field, select Dynamics 365 Commerce.
In the Methodology field, select Dynamics Retail implementation methodology.
Optional: You can import roles and users from an existing project.
Select Create. The project view appears.
Add the Azure Connector
To add the Azure Connector to your LCS project, follow the steps in Complete the Azure Resource Manager (ARM) onboarding process.
Deploy the environment
To deploy the environment, follow these steps.
You might not have to complete steps 6, 7, and/or 8, because pages that have a single option are skipped. When you're in the Environment parameters view, confirm that the text Dynamics 365 Commerce - Demo (10.0.x with Platform update xx) appears directly above the Environment name field. For details, see the illustration that appears after step 8.
On the top menu, select Cloud-hosted environments.
Select Add to add an environment.
In the Application version field, select the most current version. If you have a specific need to select an application version other than the most current version, do not select a version prior to 10.0.8.
In the Platform version field, use the platform version that is automatically chosen for the application version you selected.
Select Demo as the environment topology.
On the Deploy environment page, enter an environment name. Leave the advanced settings as they are.
Adjust the VM size as required. (We recommend VM stock keeping unit [SKU] D13 v2.)
Review the pricing and licensing terms, and then select the check box to indicate that you agree to them.
On the deployment confirmation page, verify that the details are correct, and then select Deploy. You're returned to the Cloud-hosted environments view, and your environment should appear in the list.
Your requested environment will appear as queued and then deploying. The environment workflows will take some time to be completed. Therefore, check back after approximately six to nine hours.
Before you continue, make sure that the status of your environment is Deployed.
Initialize the Commerce Scale Unit (cloud)
To initialize CSU, follow these steps.
- In the Cloud-hosted environments view, select your environment in the list.
- In the environment view on the right, select Full details. The environment details view appears.
- Under Environment features, select Manage.
- On the Commerce tab, select Initialize. The CSU initialization parameters view appears.
- In the Region field, select the region that is the same or close to the region that you deployed the environment to.
- Leave the Version field as it is.
- Select Initialize.
- On the deployment confirmation page, verify that the details are correct, and then select Yes. The Commerce management view displays again, where the Commerce tab is selected. Your CSU has been queued for provisioning.
- Before you continue, make sure that the status of your CSU is Success. Initialization takes approximately two to five hours.
If you can't find the Manage link in the environment details view, reach out to your Microsoft contact for assistance.
To initialize e-Commerce, follow these steps.
On the e-Commerce tab, review the evaluation consent, and then select Setup.
In the e-Commerce environment name field, enter a name. Be aware that this name will appear in some of the URLs that point to your e-Commerce instance.
In the Commerce Scale Unit name field, select your CSU in the list. (The list should have only one option.)
The e-Commerce geography field is set automatically.
Select Next to continue.
In the Supported host names field, enter any valid domain, such as
In the AAD security group for system admin field, enter the first few letters of the name of the security group that you want to use, and then select the magnifying glass symbol to view the search results. Select the correct security group in the list.
In the AAD security group for ratings and review moderator field, enter the first few letters of the name of the security group that you want to use, and then select the magnifying glass symbol to view the search results. Select the correct security group in the list.
Leave the Enable ratings and review service option set to Yes.
Select Initialize. The Commerce management view displays again, where the e-Commerce tab is selected. E-Commerce initialization has started.
Before you continue, wait until the status of e-Commerce initialization is Initialization successful.
Under Links in the lower right, make a note of the URLs for the following links:
- e-Commerce site – The link to the root of your e-Commerce site.
- Commerce site builder – The link to the site management tool.
To continue the process of provisioning and configuring your Commerce evaluation environment, see Configure a Commerce evaluation environment.