Frequently asked questions about Microsoft Social Engagement service discontinuation
Announcements related to discontinuation of service for Microsoft Social Engagement
What is being announced about Microsoft Social Engagement?
Effective January 16, 2019, Microsoft Social Engagement will no longer be included as part of any Microsoft Dynamics 365 license entitlement for new customers. Current customers with license entitlements to Microsoft Social Engagement will continue to be able to access the service and add any additional social post capacity as needed, until the earlier of these dates: the expiration of your subscription or January 16, 2020. Effective January 16, 2020, Microsoft Social Engagement will be discontinued for all Dynamics 365 customers.
Why is Microsoft Social Engagement being discontinued?
Dynamics 365 will focus on enabling businesses with AI-powered social and web insights rather than just with social listening capabilities. Hence, Microsoft Social Engagement will be discontinued. Combined capabilities and insights through social and web interactions powered by sources such as Bing search, will be offered through Microsoft Dynamics 365 Market Insights. The social and web insights can help marketing, social media and product teams understand what their customers and competitors are saying, seeking, and feeling.
How will current Microsoft Social Engagement customers be notified?
The announcement will be communicated through periodic customer emails and existing communication channels to all Microsoft Social Engagement admins starting January 16, 2019.
What is the recommended path for Microsoft Social Engagement customers and prospects?
With the discontinuation of Microsoft Social Engagement, new prospects and existing Microsoft Social Engagement customers are being asked to try the public preview of Dynamics 365 Market Insights. The public preview is planned for release in the countries and regions and in the languages listed in the Availability Guide. Dynamics 365 Market Insights is an application that can help enterprises gain insights and increase their markets by monitoring external information sources, such as social media and trending search terms on the web. Unlike other solutions in the market, this application provides social and web insights, along with AI-powered sentiment and intent analysis features. This helps businesses understand their customers, build their brand, gain competitive advantage, and support their unique needs.
Subscription and billing information
What customer subscriptions and pricing are affected by this announcement?
Any customers with the following license entitlements will be impacted.
Dynamics 365 Licenses
- Dynamics 365 for Sales, Enterprise edition
- Dynamics 365 for Customer Service, Enterprise edition
- Dynamics 365 for Field Service
- Dynamics 365 for Project Service Automation
- Dynamics 365 for Marketing
- Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement Plan
- Dynamics 365 Plan
- Dynamics CRM Online Enterprise
- Dynamics CRM Online Professional
- Microsoft Social Engagement Enterprise
- Microsoft Social Engagement Professional
Will monthly quota add-ons be available for purchase after January 16, 2019? Or, will these be discontinued?
Monthly quota add-ons for Microsoft Social Engagement will continue to be available for customers for purchase until the discontinuation of the application on January 16, 2020.
Will new Dynamics 365 customers be entitled to Dynamics 365 Market Insights?
New Dynamics 365 customers are encouraged to sign up to try the Dynamics 365 Market Insights public preview. More details about pricing and licensing for Dynamics 365 Market Insights will be available closer to General Availability release.
Will Dynamics 365 Market Insights be available to government entities?
As in the case with Microsoft Social Engagement, government entities will not be able to use Dynamics 365 Market Insights without additional approval.
Who can customers contact for billing issues and concerns?
If customers need to locate their Dynamics 365 (online) billing and subscription support team, they can go to Dynamics 365 (online) Billing FAQ to locate their billing support number or submit a billing support query. They can also email us at MSEEol@microsoft.com for any escalations.
Retrieving data from Microsoft Social Engagement and quota information
What options do customers have for retrieving their data?
Customer data will be retained for at least 90 days after the expiration of your subscription or January 16, 2020, whichever is earlier. Please submit a support ticket through your Office 365 admin portal if you would like to retrieve a copy of your data.
Dynamics 365 Market Insights
What is the Microsoft Social Engagement to Dynamics 365 Market Insights transitional experience?
The transition to Dynamics 365 Market Insights is intended to be a seamless experience for current Microsoft Social Engagement customers. When Social Engagement customers sign into Market Insights, their data and configurations from Social Engagement should be accessible and available in Market Insights. However, note that the user interface for Market Insights might be subject to change in the future.
What are the key capabilities of Dynamics 365 Market Insights?
The key features of Dynamics 365 Market Insights fall within five categories:
- Search Insights: Know what your customers are saying, seeking, and feeling by acquiring audience insights from Bing search. Access demographic and historical insights to align marketing and product development activities. Turn these insights into actions by developing targeted campaigns.
- Social Insights: Listen to what customers and competitors are saying, and track how their sentiment changes over time through automatic sentiment analysis. Leverage the power of AI to detect intent within social posts and help you identify new leads or respond to service questions.
- Brand Reputation: Use machine learning to tweak sentiment detection in a way that’s tailored to your organization. Identify, track, and engage with individual influencers and experts on social media so you never miss a post from an influencer.
- Social Care: Give service agents the information they need, and automate case routing, so they can spend more time addressing customer needs. Detect and create alerts based on sentiment and trends to proactively identify service issues.
- Social Selling: Empower your sales people to sell more by leveraging social media. Sales teams can gather intelligence, source new leads, and build credibility. Source high-quality leads to identify and act on buying signals, and then create new leads based on social posts.
Refer to the Release Notes for information about additional capabilities for future release.
What is the difference in capabilities between Microsoft Social Engagement and Dynamics 365 Market Insights?
Dynamics 365 Market Insights will focus more on enabling businesses with AI-powered social and web insights and will have combined capabilities and insights from Microsoft Social Engagement and Bing Search. The public preview release of Market Insights currently contains the original capabilities of Microsoft Social Engagement on the same UI, along with new features such as age and demographics insights from Bing search. For more details, see the Comparison guide.
What is the international availability of Dynamics 365 Market Insights?
Dynamics 365 Market Insights public preview is available in the countries and regions set forth in the Availability Guide, which will continue to be updated as more countries/regions and languages are added. To access Dynamics 365 Market Insights public preview for the countries and regions listed above, please visit the Dynamics 365 Market Insights site for your country or region.
Can customers access the Dynamics 365 Market Insights public preview if they are located outside of the countries or regions set forth in the Availability Guide?
Unfortunately, Dynamics 365 Market Insights is only available in the countries/regions and languages set forth in the Availability Guide.
- Comparison guide - Microsoft Social Engagement vs. Dynamics 365 Market Insights
- Help documentation for Dynamics 365 Market Insights
- For questions related to transitioning, please contact your Microsoft representative or partner or email MSEeol@microsoft.com.
We'd love to hear your thoughts. Choose the type you'd like to provide:
Our feedback system is built on GitHub Issues. Read more on our blog.