Combine customer activities from various data sources in Dynamics 365 Customer Insights to create a timeline that lists the activities chronologically. Include the timeline in Dynamics 365 apps with the Customer Card add-in solution, or in a Power BI dashboard.
Define an activity
Your data sources can include entities with transactional and activity data from multiple data sources. Identify these entities and select the activities you want to view on the customer's timeline. Choose the entity that includes your target activity or activities.
An entity must have at least one attribute of type Date to be included in a customer timeline and you can't add entities without Date fields. The Add activity control is disabled if no such entity is found.
In audience insights, go to Data > Activities.
Select Add activity to start the guided experience for the activity setup process.
In the Activity data step, set the values for the following fields:
- Activity name: Select a name for your activity.
- Entity: Select an entity that includes transactional or activity data.
- Primary key: Select the field that uniquely identifies a record. It shouldn't contain any duplicate values, empty values, or missing values.
Select Next to go to the next step.
In the Relationship step, configure the details to connect your activity data to its corresponding customer record. This step visualizes the connection between entities.
- First: Foreign field in your activity entity that will be used to establish a relationship with another entity.
- Second: Corresponding source customer entity with which your activity entity will be in relationship. You can only relate to source customer entities that are used in the data unification process.
- Third: If a relationship between this activity entity and the selected source customer entity already exists, the relationship name will be in read-only mode. If no such relationship exists, a new relationship will be created with the name you provide in this box.
In B-to-B environments, you can select between account entities and other entities. If you select an account entity, the relationship path is automatically set. For other entities, you have to define the relationship path over one or more intermediate entities until you reach an account entity.
Select Next to go to the next step.
In the Activity unification step, choose the activity event and the start time of your activity.
- Event activity: Field that is the event for this activity.
- Timestamp: Field that represents the start time of your activity.
- Additional detail: Field with relevant information for this activity.
- Icon: Icon that best represents this activity type.
- Web address: Field containing a URL with information about this activity. For example, the transactional system that sources this activity. This URL can be any field from the data source, or it can be constructed as a new field using a Power Query transformation. The URL data will be stored in the Unified Activity entity, which can be consumed downstream using APIs.
Show in timeline
- Choose if you what to show this activity in the timeline view on your customer profiles. Select Yes to show the activity in the timeline or No to hide it.
Select Next to move to the next step. You can select Finish and review to save the activity now with the activity type set to Other.
In the Activity Type step, choose the activity type and optionally select if you want to semantically map some of the activity types for use in other areas of Customer Insights. Currently, Feedback, Loyalty, SalesOrder, SalesOrderLine, and Subscription activity types can be semantically mapped after agreeing to map the fields. If an activity type isn't relevant for the new activity, you can choose Other or Create new for a custom activity type.
Select Next to move to the next step.
In the Review step, verify your selections. Go back to any of the previous steps and update the information if necessary.
Select Save activity to apply your changes and select Done to go back to Data > Activities. Here you see which activities are set to show in the timeline.
On the Activities page, select Run to process the activity.
There are statuses for tasks and processes. Most processes depend on other upstream processes, such as data sources and data profiling refreshes. Select the status to open the Progress details pane and view the progress of the task or process. Then, select the See details link for more progress information, such as processing time, the last processing date, and any applicable errors and warnings associated with the task or process.
Manage existing activities
On Data > Activities, you can view all your saved activities, and manage them. Each activity is represented by a row that also includes details about the source, the entity, and the activity type.
The following actions are available when you select an activity.
Edit: Opens the activity setup on the review step. You can change any or all of the current configuration from this step. After changing the configuration, select Save activity and then select Run to process the changes.
Rename: Opens a dialog where you can enter a different name for the selected activity. Select Save to apply your changes.
Delete: Opens a dialog to confirm the deletion of the selected activity. You can also delete more than one activity at once by selecting the activities and then selecting the delete icon. Select Delete to confirm the deletion.
View activity timelines on customer profiles
After you configured customer activities, select Show in activity timeline in the activity configuration to find all your customer's activities on their customer profile.
To open the timeline for a customer, go to Customers and choose the customer profile that you want to view.
If a customer has participated in an activity that you have configured, you'll find it in the Activity timeline section.
There are several ways to filter activities in the activity timeline:
You can select one or many of the activity icons to refine your results to include the selected type(s) only.
You can select Filter to open a filter panel to configure your timeline filters.
- You can filter by ActivityType and Date
- Select Apply to use the filters in the activity timeline.
To remove filters, select the x next to each filter applied to the timeline or select Clear filters.
Activity filters are removed when you leave a customer profile. You have to apply them each time you open on a customer profile.