Sample: Work with solutions
This topic applies to Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement (on-premises). For the Power Apps version of this topic, see: Sample: Work with solutions.
This sample shows how to perform the following actions with solutions:
- Create a publisher.
- Retrieve the default publisher.
- Create a solution.
- Retrieve a solution.
- Add an existing solution component.
- Remove a solution component.
- Export or package a solution.
- Install or upgrade a solution.
- Delete a solution.
You can download the sample from here.
This sample applies to both Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement (on-premises) and Common Data Service.
How to run this sample
To obtain a local copy of all samples and build them, do the following:
- Download or clone the Samples repo so that you have a local copy.
- (Optional) Edit the cds/App.config file to define a connection string specifying the instance/organization you want to connect to.
- Open the sample solution in Visual Studio and press F5 to run the sample. After you specify a connection string in cds/App.config, any sample you run will use that connection information.
If you do not specify a connection string in cds/App.config file, a dialog will open each time you run the sample and you will need to enter information about which instance/org you want to connect to and which credentials you want to use. This dialog will cache previous connections so that you can choose a previously used connection.
What this sample does
This sample shows how to work with solutions. This sample covers how to create a publisher, create a solution, export, and import solution and also how to delete the solution.
How this sample works
In order to simulate the scenario described in What this sample does, the sample will do the following:
- Checks for the current version of the org.
Publishermethod defines a new publisher.
Solutionmethod creates a new solution.
OptionSetMetadatamethod adds a solution component.
ExportSolutionRequestmethod exports the created solution in the Setup.
DeleteSolutionRequestmethod deletes the solution and the components.
querySDKSamplePublishermethod checks whether the publisher is already in the system.
querySampleSolutionResultsmethod checks whether the solution is already in the system.
ExportSolutionRequestmethod exports the solution.
ImportSolutionRequestmethod imports the solution.
Displays an option to delete all the data created in the sample. The deletion is optional in case you want to examine the data created by the sample. You can manually delete the data to achieve same results.