Quickstart: Schedule a work order and view it on the mobile application
This quickstart shows how a dispatcher creates and schedules a work order that a field technician then views on the mobile app.
Assign the dispatcher role to a user
Create a work order or use one from sample data
Assign the resource role (for field technicians) to a user
Create a bookable resource
Add the bookable resource to the schedule board
Schedule the work order to the bookable resource
View the scheduled work order on mobile
You need a Dynamics 365 organization with the Field Service application and the mobile solution installed. Using sample data imported from the Package Deployer is recommended. You also need a phone or tablet for viewing a scheduled work order.
Make sure the Field Service application is installed
Sign in as a system administrator and verify that the Field Service application is listed in the main menu. See the following screenshot for reference. If you don't see Field Service, go to the Field Service installation walkthrough for steps to install it.
Make sure the mobile solution is installed
Sign in as a system administrator and verify that the Woodford solution listed in Settings > Solutions. See the following screenshot for reference. If you don't see the Woodford solution go to mobile solution activation walkthrough for steps to install it.
Make sure sample data is installed
When sample data is installed, you see multiple records in Field Service > Work Orders. If you don't see any sample records, check out these instructions for importing sample data for more information.
1. Assign the dispatcher role to a user
Navigate to Settings > Security > Users.
Select a user, and then choose Manage Roles.
Assign the user the Field Service – Administrator role to give the user scheduling, dispatching, and configuration capabilities. If this user is only acting as a dispatcher, then assign the Field Service—Dispatcher role.
2. Create a work order or use one from sample data
If you're using sample data, you can skip this step. Otherwise, you need to create a work order.
Navigate to Field Service > Work Orders.
On the Summary tab:
- For Service Account, select an account from the list or create a new one.
- For Work Order Type, select a work order type from the list or create a new one.
- For System Status, select Open-Unscheduled.
- On the Settings tab:
- For Price List, select a price list from list or create new one.
- Set Taxable to No.
- On the Address tab, enter a valid address. Then choose Save and close.
3. Assign the field technician role to a resource
Navigate to Settings > Security > Users.
Select a user other than the dispatcher/administrator, and then assign only the Field Service – Resource security role. If you don't have a user to assign this role, create a new one in the Admin center.
The user needs a Dynamics 365 Field Service license. After you create the user, verify that you can sign in with the new user record. You may be prompted to set a temporary password.
- Open the field technician’s user record.
- Select Field Security Profiles.
- Assign the Field Service – Resource field security profile to the field technician user. Note that field technicians can't edit fields on mobile work orders unless they have this profile assigned.
Set up geo-coding for the field technician user
Next you need to set up geo-coding for the field technician user. Field technician location is used for scheduling and routing.
- Navigate to Settings > Users, and then open the user record to verify there is an address. Addresses are based on the address for the user's record set in Office 365.
- If there isn't an address for the user, navigate to the Admin center. Find the user record.
- Enter an address, and then choose Save. To see the updated address in the Dynamics 365 organization, go back to the field technician user record and refresh the page.
Set up geo-coding for the organization
Setting up geocoding for an organization enables the system to attach latitudes and longitudes to addresses.
- Navigate to Resource Scheduling > Administration > Scheduling Parameters.
- Set Connect to Maps to Yes. The API key fills in automatically to use the Bing Maps API, which enables the system to assign a latitude and longitude to the user record's address.
- Navigate to the user record, and then select Geocode.
- Confirm the address, and then choose Close.
- Choose Change to populate the Scheduling section of the user record with the latitude and longitude.
Alternatively, you can type the latitude and longitude into the address fields on the user record.
4. Create a bookable resource
Next, create a bookable resource record for the field technician user. Creating a bookable resource lets you schedule work orders for the field technician, which the field tecnician sees in the mobile app.
- Navigate to Field Service > Administration > Resources.
- Choose New.
Create a new field technician resource with the following settings:
- Resource Type = User
- User = [User record you assigned Resource role to]
- Warehouse = [assign a warehouse or create a new one. Ex: Truck 1]
- Hourly Rate = $60
- Start Location = Resource Address
- End Location = Resource Address
- Display on Schedule Board = Yes
- Enable for Availability Search = Yes
5. Add the bookable resource to the schedule board
Next, you add the field technician to the schedule board.
- Navigate to Field Service > Schedule Board.
- In the Filter and Map View panel, select Options > Select Resources.
- Find the new field technician with the Resource Type set to User, and then move the user to selected resources. Choose Apply.
6. Schedule the work order to the bookable resource
In the lower pane, find the work order to schedule. This work order is listed in the Open Requirements view, and the Unscheduled Work Orders view. To schedule the work order, drag it to the field technician.
7. View the scheduled work order on mobile
If necessary, download the Field Service Mobile (2017) mobile app from the app store for your phone or tablet.
- Navigate to the Field Service Mobile (2017) mobile app, and then choose Setup.
- Select the Dynamics 365 account.
- Sign in with the username and password for the field technician:
- For the URL, enter the URL of your Dynamics 365 organization. For example, https://org.crm.dynamics.com.
- For the Username, enter the username of the field technician. For example, firstname.lastname@example.org
- For the Password, enter the password you set for the field technician.
- In the Booking tab, verify that the work order (or booking) is scheduled for the field technician.