Assign users to security roles
Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations is now being licensed as Dynamics 365 Finance and Dynamics 365 Supply Chain Management. For more information about these licensing changes, see Dynamics 365 Licensing Update.
To use anything other than common capabilities, users must be assigned to security roles. This procedure explains how system administrators can automatically assign users to roles, based on business data.
Automatically assign users to roles
- Go to Navigation pane > Modules > System administration > Security > Assign users to roles.
- In the tree, select 'Accounting supervisor'. Select the role that you want to configure the rule for. In this example, select Accounting supervisor.
- Click Add rule to open the drop dialog.
- In the Select a querylist, find and select the desired record. Select the query to use for this rule.
- In the Membership rule name list, click the link in the selected row.
- Click Edit query. Edit the query, as needed.
- Click OK.
- Click Run automatic role assignment.
- Go to Navigation pane > Modules > System administration > Users > Users (ideally in a separate browser tab).
- Review the roles assigned to various users to confirm that the role assignment query was correct. Adjust and re-run if needed.
Exclude users from automatic role assignment
Close the page.
Go to Navigation pane > Modules > System administration > Security > Assign users to roles.
In the tree, select 'Accounting supervisor'. Select a role. For this example, select Accounting supervisor.
In the Users assigned to role menu, select Manually assign / exclude users.
In the Assign users to or exclude users from role list, mark the selected row. Select a user.
On the Action pane, select Exclude from role.
Click Exclude from role to exclude the selected users from the role. To remove exclusions, select the users that you want to remove exclusions for, and then click Reset status. When you remove an exclusion by resetting the user’s status, the user’s role is again assigned automatically. However, the user is not immediately assigned to the role or excluded from the role when you reset the status. Instead, the user is either assigned to the role or removed from the role the next time that the rules for automatic role assignment are run.