Configure automated tasks in a workflow
This topic explains how to configure the properties for an automated task.
To configure an automated task in the workflow editor, right-click the task, and then click Properties to open the Properties page. Then use the following procedures to configure the properties for the automated task.
Name the task
Follow these steps to enter a name for the automated task.
- In the left pane, click Basic Settings.
- In the Name field, enter a unique name for the task.
Specify when notifications are sent
You can send notifications to people when an automated task has been run or canceled. Follow these steps to specify when notifications are sent, and who they are sent to.
In the left pane, click Notifications.
Select the check box next to the events to send notifications for:
- Execution – Notifications are sent when the task has been run.
- Canceled – Notifications are sent when the task has been canceled.
Select the row for an event that you selected in step 2.
On the Notification text tab, in the text box, enter the text of the notification.
To personalize the notification, you can insert placeholders. Placeholders are replaced with appropriate data when the notification is shown to users. Follow these steps to insert a placeholder:
- In the text box, click where the placeholder should appear.
- Click Insert placeholder.
- In the list that appears, select the placeholder to insert.
- Click Insert.
To add translations of the notification, follow these steps:
- Click Translations.
- On the page that appears, click Add.
- In the list that appears, select the language that you're entering the text in.
- In the Translated text field, enter the text.
- To personalize the text, you can insert placeholders as described in step 5.
- Click Close.
On the Recipient tab, specify who the notifications are sent to. Select one of the options in the following table, and then follow the additional steps for that option before you go to step 8.
Option Notification recipients Additional steps Participant Users who are assigned to a specific group or role
- After you select Participant, on the Role based tab, in the Type of participant list, select the type of group or role to send notifications to.
- In the Participant list, select the group or role to send notifications to.
Workflow user Users who participate in the current workflow
- After you select Workflow user, on the Workflow user tab, in the Workflow user list, select a user who participates in the workflow.
User Specific users
- After you select User, click the User tab.
- The Available users list includes all users. Select the users to send notifications to, and then move those users to the Selected users list.
Repeat steps 3 through 7 for each event that you selected in step 2.