Create an operating unit
Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations is now being licensed as Dynamics 365 Finance and Dynamics 365 Supply Chain Management. For more information about these licensing changes, see Dynamics 365 Licensing Update.
An operating unit is an organization that is used to divide the control of economic resources and operational processes in a business. People in an operating unit have a duty to maximize the use of scarce resources, improve processes, and account for their performance. The types of operating units include cost centers, business units, departments, and value streams. Use the following procedure to create an operating unit. The demo data company used to create this procedure is USMF.
- Go to Navigation pane > Modules > Organization administration > Organizations > Operating units.
- Click New to open the drop dialog.
- In the list, find and select the desired record. Select the type of operating unit you want to create.
- In the list, click the link in the selected row.
- In the Name field, type a value.
- Expand the General section, if necessary.
- Provide general information about the operating unit, such as an identification number, DUNS number, and manager.
- Expand the Addresses section, if necessary.
- Enter address information, such as the street name and number, postal code, and city. Click Add to enter a new address record, or click Edit to modify an existing address record.
- Expand the Contact information section, if necessary.
- Enter information about methods of communication, such as email addresses, URLs, and telephone numbers. To enter a new communication record, click New. To modify an existing communication record, click More options > Advanced.
- Optionally, change the Operating unit number as needed. Note that this number is a unique idenitifier for the correspondng Party record and cannot be the same as any other operating unit.
- Select Save.