How to: Categorize Items
To maintain an overview of your items and to help you sort and find items, it is useful to organize your items in item categories.
To find items by characteristics, you can assign item attributes to items and also to item categories. For more information, see How to: Work with Item Attributes.
To create an item category
- Choose the icon, enter Item Categories, and then choose the related link.
- In the Item Categories window, choose the New action.
- In the Item Category Card window, on the General FastTab, fill in the fields as necessary. Choose a field to read a short description of the field or link to more information.
- On the Attributes FastTab, specify any item attributes for the item category. For more information, see the "To assign item attributes to an item category" section in How to: Work with Item Attributes.
If the item category has a parent item category, as indicated by the Parent Category field, then any item attributes that are assigned to that parent item category are prefilled on the Attributes FastTab.
Item attributes that you assign to an item category will automatically apply to the item that the item category is assigned to.
To assign an item category to an item
- Choose the icon, enter Items, and then choose the related link.
- Open the card for the item that you want to assign to an item category.
- Choose the lookup button in the Item Category Code field and select an existing item category. Alternatively, choose the New action to first create a new item category as explained in the "To create an item category" section.