Items, among other products, are the basis of your business, the goods or services that you trade in. Each item must be registered as an item card.
Item cards hold the information that is required to buy, store, sell, deliver, and account for items.
The item card can be of type Inventory or Service to specify if the item is a physical unit or a labor time unit. Apart from some fields that relate to the physical aspects of an item, all fields on an item card function in the same way for inventory items and services. For more information about selling an item, see How to: Sell Products or How to: Invoice Sales.
An item can be structured as a parent item with underlying child items in a bill of materials (BOM). In Financials, a bill of materials is referred to as an assembly BOM. You use assembly BOMs to structure parent items that you sell as kits consisting of the parent's components or that you assemble to order or to stock. For more information, see How to: Work with Bills of Materials.
If item templates exist for different item types, then a window appears when you create a new item card from where you can select an appropriate template. If only one item template exists, then new item cards always use that template.
To create a new item card
- On the Home page, choose the Items action to open the list of existing items.
In the Items window, choose the New action.
If only one item template exists, then a new item card opens with some fields filled with information from the template.
- In the Select a template for a new item window, choose the template that you want to use for the new item card.
- Choose the OK button. A new item card opens with some fields filled with information from the template.
- Proceed to fill or change fields on the item card as necessary. Choose a field to read a short description of the field or link to more information.
On the Price and Posting FastTab, you can view special prices or discounts that you grant for the item if certain criteria are met, such as customer, minimum order quantity, or ending date. Each row represents a special price or line discount. Each column represents a criterion that must apply to warrant the special price that you enter in the Unit Price field, or the line discount that you enter in the Line Discount % field. For more information, see Record Sales Price, Discount, and Payment Agreements.
The item is now registered, and the item card is ready to be used on purchase and sales documents.
If you want to use this item card as a template when you create new item cards, you can save it as a template. For more information, see the following section.
To save the item card as a template
- In the Item Card window, choose the Save as Template action. The Item Template window opens showing the item card as a template.
- Fill in the fields as necessary. Choose a field to read a short description of the field or link to more information.
- To reuse dimensions in templates, choose the Dimensions action. The Dimension Templates window opens showing any dimension codes that are set up for the item.
- Edit or enter dimension codes that will apply to new item cards created by using the template.
- When you have completed the new item template, choose the OK button.
The item template is added to the list of item templates, so that you can use it to create new item cards.