How to: Work With Checks
You can issue electronic and manual checks in Dynamics 365. Both methods use the payment journal to issue checks to vendors. You can also void checks and view check ledger entries.
The process of issuing checks suggests payments, creates ledger entries, and prints the computer checks.
To make sure that your bank only clears validated checks and amounts, you can send them a file that contains vendor, check, and payment information. For more information, see How to: Export a Positive Pay file.
Your printer must be correctly set up with the check forms, and you must define which check layout to use. For more information, see How to: Define Check Layouts
To issue checks
- Choose the icon, enter Payment Journals, and then choose the related link.
- Fill in the journal with relevant payments, for example by using the Suggest Vendor Payments function. For more information, see How to: Suggest Vendor Payments.
In the Bank Payment Type field on journal lines for payment that you want to make with checks, select one of the following options:
- Computer Check: Select this option if you want to print a check for the amount on the payment journal line. You must print the checks before you can post the journal lines. You can only select Computer Check if the Bal. Account Type or the Account Type is Bank Account.
Manual Check: Select this option if you have created a check manually and want to create a corresponding check ledger entry for this amount. By using this option, you cannot print checks from Dynamics 365. You can only select Manual Check if the Bal. Account Type or the Account Type is Bank Account.
You must print computer checks before you post the related journal lines.
- In case of computer checks, choose Print Check.
- In the Check window, fill in the fields as necessary. Choose a field to read a short description of the field or link to more information.
- Choose the Print button.
If you want to print checks in more than one currency from different bank accounts, you must run the Print Check batch job separately for each currency and specify the appropriate bank account.
To cancel printed checks that are not posted
You can cancel non-posted checks after they have been printed by using the Void Check action in the Payment Journal window.
- In the Payment Journal window, choose the Void Check, and then choose which checks to cancel.
To void checks
When check payment have been posted, you can only cancel (void) checks from the resulting bank ledger entries.
- Choose the icon, enter Bank Accounts, and then choose the related link.
- Select the relevant bank account, choose the Edit action, and then choose the Check Ledger Entries action.
- In the Check Ledger Entries window, choose the Void Check action.
- Select the Void Check Only check box.
- Choose the OK button.