How to: Send Documents by Email
To communicate the contents of business documents quickly to your business partners, such as the payment information on sales documents to customers, you can use the Report Layout feature to define document-specific content that gets inserted in email bodies automatically. For more information, see Managing Report and Document Layouts.
To enable emails from within Dynamics 365, start the Set Up Email assisted setup on the Home page.
You can email practically all document types as attachments to email messages directly from the window that shows the document. In addition to the attachment, you can set up document-specific email bodies with core information from the document preceded by standard text that greets the mail recipient and introduces the document in question. To offer your customers to pay for sales electronically using a payment service, such as PayPal, you can also have the PayPal information and hyperlink inserted in the email body.
From all supported documents, you initiate emailing by choosing the Send action, on posted documents, or the Post and Send action, on non-posted documents.
If the Email field in the Send Document to window is set to Yes (Prompt for Settings), then the Send Email window opens prefilled with the contact person in the To: field and the document attached as a PDF file. In the Body field, you can either enter text manually or you can have the field filled with a document-specific email body that you have set up.
The following procedure describes how to set the Sales - Invoice report up to be used for document-specific email bodies when you email posted sales invoices.
To set up a document-specific email body for sales invoices
- Choose the icon, enter Report Selections Sales, and then choose the related link.
- In the Report Selection - Sales window, in the Usage field, select Invoice.
- On a new line, in the Report ID field, select, for example, standard report 1306.
- Select the Use for Email Body check box.
Choose the Email Body Layout Code field, and then select a layout from the drop-down list.
Report layouts define both the style and the content of the email body, including the standard text that precedes the core document information in the email body. You can see all available report layouts if you choose the Select from full list button in the drop-down list.
- To view or edit the layout that the email body is based on, select the layout in the Custom Report Layouts window, and then choose the Edit Layout action.
- If you want to offer customers to pay for sales electronically, you can set up the related payment service, such as PayPal, and then have the PayPal information and hyperlink inserted in the email body as well. For more information, see How to: Enable Customer Payments Through PayPal.
- Choose the OK button.
Now, when you choose, for example, the Send action in the Posted Sales Invoice window, the email body will contain the document information of report 1306 preceded by styled standard text according to the report layout that you selected in step 5.
The following procedure describes how to send a posted sales invoice as an email message with the document attached as a PDF file and with a document-specific email body.
To send documents by email
- Choose the icon, enter Posted Sales Invoices, and then choose the related link.
- Select the relevant posted sales invoice, and then choose the Send action. The Send Document to window opens.
- In the Email field, select Yes (Prompt for Settings). For more information, see How to: Set Up Document Sending Profiles.
- Choose the OK button. The Send Email window opens.
- In the To: field, enter a valid email address. The default value is the customer email address.
- In the Subject field, enter a descriptive subject text. The default value is the customer name and invoice number.
- In the Attachment field, the generated invoice is attached by default as a PDF file. Choose the lookup button to open the file or attach another one.
In the Body field, enter a short message to the recipient.
If a document-specific email body is set up in the Report Selection - Sales window, then the Body field is filled in automatically. For more information, see the "To set up a document-specific email body for sales invoices" section in this topic.
- Choose the OK button to send the email message.
If you do not want to specify email settings each time you email a document, you can select the Yes (Use Default Settings) option in the Email field in the Send Document to window. In that case, the Send Email window will not open. See Step 4. For more information, see How to: Set Up Document Sending Profiles.