How to: Manage Users and Permissions
To add users in Dynamics 365, your company's Office 365 administrator must first create the users in the Office 365 Admin Center. For more information, see Add Users to Office 365 for business
Once users are created in Office 365, they can be imported into the Users window by using the Get Users from Office 365 action. Users are assigned permission sets depending on the plan assigned to the User in Office 365.
You can then proceed to assign permission sets to the users to define which database objects, and thereby which UI elements, they have access to, and in which companies.
A permission set is a collection of permissions for specific objects in the database. All users must be assigned one or more permission sets before they can access Dynamics 365. A number of predefined permission sets are provided by default. You can use these permission sets as already defined, modify the default permission sets, or create additional permission sets.
You can add users to user groups. This makes it easier to assign the same permission sets to multiple users.
Administrators can use the User Setup window to define periods of time during which specified users are able to post, and also specify if the system logs the amount of time users are logged on.
This functionality requires that your experience is set to Suite. For more information, see Customizing Your Dynamics 365 Experience.
To assign permissions to a user
- Choose the icon, enter Users, and then choose the related link.
- Select the user that you want to assign permission to. Any permission sets that are already assigned to the user are displayed in the Permission Sets FactBox.
- Choose the Edit action to open the User Card window.
- On the User Permission Sets FastTab, on a new line, fill in the fields as necessary. Choose a field to read a short description of the field or link to more information.
To group users in user groups
You can set up users groups to help you manage permission sets for groups of users in your company. You can use a function to copy all permission sets from an existing user group to your new user group. User group members are not copied.
- Choose the icon, enter User Groups, and then choose the related link.
- Alternatively, in the Users window, choose the User Groups action.
- In the User Groups window, select an existing user group that you want to copy, and then choose the Copy User Group action.
In the New User Group Code field, specify the name of the new user group, and then choose the OK button.
As an alternative to copying, you can choose the New action to create a new line for an empty user group, which you then fill in manually.
- To add new or additional users, in the User Group window, choose the User Group Members action.
- In the User Group Members window, on a new line, fill in the fields as necessary by selecting from existing users.
- To add new or additional permission sets, in the User Group window, choose the User Group Permission Sets action.
- In the User Group Permission Sets window, on a new line, fill in the fields as necessary by selecting from existing permission sets.
To set up user time constraints
Administrators can define periods of time during which specified users are able to post, and also specify if the system logs the amount of time users are logged on. Administrators can also assign responsibility centers to users. For more information, see How to: Work with Responsibility Centers.
- Choose the icon, enter User Setup, and then choose the related link.
- In the User Setup window opens, choose the New action.
- In the User ID field, enter the ID of a user, or choose the field to see all current Windows users in the system.
- Fill in the fields as necessary.
Getting Ready for Doing Business
Setup and Administration in Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations, Business edition
Welcome to Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations, Business edition
Working with Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations, Business edition