Microsoft Dynamics 365 Fraud Protection offers multiple experiences to introduce you to the product and accelerate your journey toward embedding Dynamics 365 Fraud Protection into your full production environment. The Diagnose experience evaluates your historical data and generates reports that provide valuable risk insights into existing fraud patterns in your business. These reports can help you identify opportunities for improving your fraud protection capabilities.
Your dashboard keeps you up to date about useful information, essential tasks that you need to complete, and important settings that you should configure to get the most out of Dynamics 365 Fraud Protection. Critical steps are marked to indicate your current setup status. Steps might be marked as Completed or Not started, or they might show the number of items that still remain.
To begin, upload your historical data for analysis. The data should reflect approved transactions that were approved by you (the merchant) and sent to your bank, and it should include three months of purchases and chargebacks. Upload a data file for each of the following entities:
- Payment instruments
To help guarantee that Dynamics 365 Fraud Protection can correctly interpret the files that you upload, make sure that they meet the following requirements, and that they follow the required schemas:
- The files are in CSV (comma-separated values) format.
- The maximum file size is 10 gigabytes (GB).
- The DateTime columns are in ISO 8601 format.
- The decimal precision is two decimal places.
- The following characters are escaped in all columns: commas, new line characters, and multiline characters.
This data is sensitive, and you should take care to upload it only from a secure network location. Be aware that Microsoft requests only partial data about payment instruments (the bank identification number [BIN] and the last four digits). We don't request highly sensitive data, such as the full payment instrument number or Social Security number (SSN). Therefore, make sure that you do not include this type of data in the files that you upload. For more information about how data is used and protected in Dynamics 365 Fraud Protection, see Security, compliance, and data subject requests.
You can preview a sample of your data on the Ready to upload your file page. If significant errors are detected in the file format, correct them before you upload the complete files. When you're ready, select Upload.
After all four files are uploaded, select Generate data diagnostic report to begin to create your report. Report generation typically takes no longer than 24 hours. However, it might take more or less time, depending on the size of your files.
Data diagnostic report
The data diagnostic report contains a detailed visual breakdown of your data, so that you can determine how complete the content is. Key metrics include the chargeback match rate, which shows purchase and chargeback completion, and the optimum baseline chargeback basis points for analysis. Additional charts indicate any missing dates, formatting errors, the percentage of unique entities that are represented, and the number of days of data that were included in the uploaded files.
Before you can generate your risk diagnostic report, the key metrics of your data must reach a minimum quality threshold. If the quality of the data is too low to allow for accurate evaluation, you will be prompted to improve the indicated issues and try again. Return to the Data upload page and select Reupload to submit your updated data.
Risk diagnostic report
After the data diagnostic report returns satisfactory results, the risk diagnostic report is generated. This process should take no longer than 24 hours.
The risk diagnostic report lets you assess your risk from fraudulent activity and evaluate its monetary impact on your business. Based on your data, Dynamics 365 Fraud Protection provides interactive charts for the following information:
- Model performance – The Receiver operating characteristic curves let you see the percentage of rejected transactions that have chargebacks versus the percentage of rejected legitimate transactions. By using the risk score slider to adjust the graphs, you can see what your detection and false positive rates would be at different thresholds of acceptable risk.
- Distribution of transactions by risk score – See the reported ratio of fraudulent to non-fraudulent historical transactions. The transactions are plotted based on their risk score. You can zoom in on selected ranges to see details.
- Top 5 risk factors – See the top risk factors for transactions that have the highest risk scores. Use the drop-down menu to select the percentage of your transactions to view.
You can find your completed reports at Data diagnostic report and Risk diagnostic report in the navigation bar, or you can link to them from the dashboard. For deeper analysis and additional information, you can download the full reports as .docx files.
To move to the Evaluate experience from Diagnose, select Switch to Evaluate at the bottom of the navigation bar.