Privacy and personal data for Microsoft Dynamics 365
Microsoft Dynamics 365 is committed to helping our customers meet their privacy and personal data requirements, as well as General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). In this topic, you will find information and resources to help you understand how Microsoft Dynamics 365 supports protecting and enabling the privacy rights of individuals, and how we provide the information and tools that our customers need in order to define and support their specific obligations. You can read more about the Microsoft commitment to security at the Microsoft Trust Center.
White papers, security reports, penetration tests, and risk assessment tools
To find detailed information about privacy and personal data for Dynamics 365 applications and services, visit Data Protection Resources. This site provides white papers, FAQs, security reports, penetration tests, risk assessment tools, and other resources. In particular, the site provides guidance about about how you should consider enhancing your data protection capabilities and how you might want to think about compliance as a process that has four stages: discover, manage, protect, and report.
Data subject requests
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is fundamentally about protecting and enabling the privacy rights of individuals. For information about the opportunities GDPR brings for organizations in the context of their business applications, whether there are any specific risks and measures to be taken in the GDPR context, and any potential impact on how business applications need to be used, see What GDPR means for your business applications: the IDC analyst's view.
The GDPR grants individuals (or data subjects) certain rights in connection with the processing of their personal data. These rights include the right to correct inaccurate data, erase their data or restrict its processing, receive their data, and fulfill a request to transmit their data to another controller. The resources in this section will help Dynamics 365 customers respond to data subject requests (DSRs).To find information about what the GDPR requires of controllers (you) and processors (Microsoft) when you respond to DSRs, and how Microsoft enables you to do so, see DSRs on the Service Trust Portal.
The Relevance Search report is available for Dynamics 365 Customer Service, Field Service, Marketing, Project Service Automation, and Sales.
Resources to help administrators and customizers configure Relevance Search:
Resources to help users get started with Relevance Search:
- Use Relevance Search to search for records
- Find info faster with Relevance Search (video)
- Get more productive with Relevance Search (video)
Person search report
The Person search report is available for Dynamics 365 Finance, Commerce, Human Resources, and Supply Chain Management.
- If you're an application user or administrator, start with Person search report.
- If you're a developer, learn how to extend the Person search report.
Compliance Manager is a cross–Microsoft cloud services solution that is designed to help organizations meet complex compliance obligations like the GDPR. It does real-time risk assessment that reflects your compliance posture against data protection regulations when you use Microsoft cloud services. It also provides recommended actions and step-by-step guidance.
Compliance Manager blog posts
- Preparing for a new era in privacy regulation with the Microsoft Cloud, from the Office blog (April 2018)
- Introducing Service Trust Portal and the new Privacy/GDPR resources, from the Tech Community blog (April 2018)
- Announcing Compliance Manager general availability, from the Tech Community blog (February 2018)
Compliance Manager white papers and datasheets
- Simplify your compliance journey with Compliance Manager (white paper)
- Prepare for GDPR today with Microsoft 365 (white paper)
Compliance Manager videos
- Introducing Compliance Manager in 2 mins
- Preparing for GDPR: Mechanics video featuring Compliance Manager
- Compliance Manager product demo
Hear from Microsoft about how we support privacy and personal data requirements, and learn how we are helping our Microsoft Dynamics 365 customers support their requirements.
- Safeguarding individual privacy rights with the Microsoft Cloud, May 2018
- Supporting GDPR Data Subject Requests with Dynamics 365, April 2018
- Help your organization’s GDPR Compliance efforts with Dynamics 365, April 2018
- Get Ready for GDPR: How Dynamics 365 Can Help, April 2018
- Understanding the General Data Protection Regulation in Partnership with Microsoft, May 2017
Blog posts and e-books
Read more about Microsoft privacy and personal data compliance, what it means to our customers, and what it means to us as a corporation.
- GDPR is here: Here's what you need to know to start your compliance journey, May 2018
- Microsoft’s commitment to GDPR, privacy and putting customers in control of their own data, May 2018, Julie Brill - Corporate Vice President and Deputy General Counsel, Microsoft
- Essential Dynamics 365 resources to help you with GDPR compliance, May 2018
- Microsoft hires European Data Protection Officer, March 2018
- For everyone to benefit from technology, we need to ensure the free flow of information, September 2017, Julie Brill, Corporate Vice President and Deputy General Counsel, Microsoft
- Are you ready for the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)? Our two new tools can help you find out, July 2017
- Sharing new customer resources for EU’s General Data Protection Regulation, Brendon Lynch, Chief Privacy Officer, Microsoft
- How the Microsoft Cloud can accelerate your GDPR compliance for the EU, May 2017, Suzanne Choney, Microsoft
- Sharing our journey to help customers comply with the EU’s GDPR at IAPP Global Privacy Summit, April 2017, John Payseno, Assistant General Council
- Get GDPR compliant with the Microsoft Cloud, February 2017, Brendon Lynch, Chief Privacy Officer, Microsoft
- Microsoft’s Journey to Compliance (e-book)