Support for external gift cards
Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations is now being licensed as Dynamics 365 Finance and Dynamics 365 Supply Chain Management. For more information about these licensing changes, see Dynamics 365 Licensing Update.
To provide a seamless experience for their customers, retailers want to be able to accept a wide variety of payment methods. Gift cards are one of the most frequently used payment methods after cash and credit cards. An important requirement for many retailers is the ability to accept various types of gift cards, from various providers, at the point of sale (POS).
Microsoft Dynamics 365 Retail now supports external gift cards. Therefore, retailers can accept third-party gift cards from gift card providers such GiveX by using the POS. To take advantage of this functionality, you must have an account with an external gift card service provider. This functionality differs from the out-of-box gift card support that the solution offered.
The out-of-box Verifone Payment connector has also been updated so that it supports the functionality for external gift cards. The initial update enables integration with GiveX.
The external gift card must be configured for both the Retail headquarters and the POS. Before the gift card can be configured, the retailer must have an account with an external gift card service provider.
Retail headquarters configuration
Search for hardware profile to open the POS hardware profile page.
On the POS hardware profile page, follow these steps:
On the navigation bar on the left side of the page, select Virtual.
On the ETF service FastTab, in the Connectors grid, select the first entry, TestConnector.
In the Supported Tender Types field, add GiftCard.
You can also use the New button to create multiple payment connectors. In this way, you can take advantage of the support for multiple connectors that has been added to the solution. You can then have different payment connectors for different payment methods. For example, all credit cards can be processed through one connector, but the gift card can be processed through a different connector.
Search for payment methods to open the Payment methods page.
Select New, and then follow these steps:
- In the Payment method field, enter 12.
- In the Payment method name field, enter External Gift Card.
- In the Default function field, select Card.
- Select Save.
Open the All retail stores page.
In the list, select the Houston store.
On the Action Pane, select Set up > Payment methods.
In the Payment method field, enter 12. The Payment method name and Function fields should then be set automatically.
On the General FastTab, set the following fields:
- Set the Operation name field to Pay gift card.
- Set the Connector name field to TestConnector.
On the Posting FastTab, set the Gift card item number field to 0010.
Select Card setup and click New to map the gift card created in step 4 to the newly created external gift card payment method.
Open the Button grid page.
In the navigation bar on the left side of the page, search for F2S1M, and select the filtered option.
On the Action Pane, select Designer to download the button designer application.
When the grid designer appears, right-click on an empty (gray) area, and then select New button.
Right-click the new button, and then select Button properties.
Set the Action, Payment type, and Text on button properties according to the following matrix.
Action Payment type Text on button Issue gift card External Gift Card Ext Issue gift card Add to gift card External Gift Card Ext Add to gift card Gift card balance External Gift Card Ext Gift card balance Pay gift card External Gift Card Ext Pay gift card
When you've finished, your button layout should resemble the following illustration.
Close the designer.
Search for Distribution Schedule.
In the navigation bar on the left side of the page, search for 1090, 1115, and 1070.
On the Action Pane, select Run now.
Check the status of the job by searching for Download sessions.
Wait until Applied appears next to all the jobs, and then close the browser.
Reset IIS if you're using Retail Store Scale Unit
If you're using a Retail Store Scale Unit (RSSU) that is located in the store, open a Command Prompt window as an administrator, and enter iisreset. Otherwise, wait for the Retail Server to be updated.
Update merchant properties
- In File Explorer, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics 365\70\Retail Hardware Station\ConfigurationUtility.
- Run the HardwareStationConfigurationUtility executable program.
- Configure the utility by entering the correct Retail Server URL, and then select Install.
- To verify that the download was successful, go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft Dynamics AX\Retail Hardware Station, and look at the timestamp of the MerchantInformation.xml file. It should be very recent.
Configure and test Retail Modern POS
- Start the Retail Modern POS (MPOS) application.
- Sign in by using the standard credentials.
- When you're prompted, select Perform a non-drawer operation.
- On the main screen, select Select hardware station.
- On the bar on the right side of the page, select Manage.
- Turn on Virtual Peripherals, and then select OK.
- In the Available paired stations field, select Virtual Peripherals.
- You're prompted to either open a new shift or perform non-drawer operations. You can now open a new shift.
- On the main screen, select Current transaction.
- Select Gift cards.
- Select Ext Issue gift card.
- Enter a number that starts with 9, and then provide an amount.
- After items are added to the cart, you can pay by using cash or a card.
Issue: An error occurs when you start the HardwareStationConfigurationUtility program
From an elevated command prompt, open the HardwareStationConfigurationUtility.exe.config file in Notepad.
In the file, follow these steps:
- Replace the DataServiceUrl value with the correct Retail Server URL.
- Verify that the AADLogonUrl value is correct.
Save and close the file.
Restart the utility.
Issue: A token error occurs when you try to pair virtual peripherals
- Exit MPOS.
- Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics 365\70\Retail Hardware Station\Package.
- From an elevated command prompt, open the Web.config file in Notepad.
- Replace the RetailServer value with the correct Retail Server value.
- Save and close the file.
- Restart MPOS.
- If the issue persists, exit MPOS, use Task Manager to end any instances of dllhost.exe that are running, and then do another reset of Internet Information Services (IIS).