Set up a work template for purchase orders
Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations has evolved into purpose-built applications to help you manage specific business functions. For more information about these changes, see Dynamics 365 Licensing Guide.
This topic describes how to set up a simple work template to be used when putting away received items. Work templates determine the set of instructions presented to the warehouse worker on a mobile device when moving items from the receiving area. You can use this procedure with the data mentioned in demo data company USMF. Before you start this guide, create a work pool ID. In this example, a work pool ID called in Inbound is used. This procedure is intended for the warehouse manager.
- In the navigation pane, go to Modules > Warehouse management > Setup > Work > Work templates.
- In the Work order type field, select Purchase orders.
Create a work template header
- Select New.
- In the Sequence number field, enter a number. This is the sequence in which the work templates are evaluated. You can modify the sequence, if needed.
- In the Work template field, type a value. This is the unique identifier for this template.
- In the Work template description field, type a value.
- The Valid option will not be checked until you've completed all the information that's needed by the template and have then selected Save.
- A work order of type Purchase order cannot be automatically processed, so leave the Automatically process option set to No.
- In the Work pool ID field, type a value. Work pool IDs allow you to organize work into groups. The value that you set here will be the default value for any work that's created using this template.
- In the Work priority field, enter
1. This indicates the importance of the work, and the value that you set here will be the default for any work created using this template.
- Select Save. You must save the work template header before the Edit Query button becomes available.
Set up the query for the work template
- Select Edit query. We'll set a limitation that the template can only be used within a specific warehouse.
- Select Add.
- In the Field field of the new row, type
- In the Criteria field, type a value.
- Select OK.
- Select Yes.
Set work template details
- Select New.
- In the Work type field, select Pick.
- In the Work class ID field, type
purchase. The work class that you set here will be the default on all work lines of type Pick that are created using this template. The work class cannot be overridden from the work order lines. Work classes are used to direct and/or limit the type of work order lines a warehouse worker can process on a mobile device.
- Select New.
- In the Work type field, select Put.
- In the Work class ID field, type a value. The pick and put instructions are a set. Each pick/put set must have the same work class. Use the same work class that you provided for the pick instruction.
- Select Save. Note that the Valid checkbox is now checked.