Initialize Retail Cloud Scale Unit
If you're using a Tier-2 sandbox or production environment that has application version 8.1.2.x or later, you must initialize Retail Cloud Scale Unit before you can use retail channel functionality either for point of sale (POS) operations or for e-Commerce operations that use Retail Server in the cloud. Initialization will deploy a Retail Cloud Scale Unit.
This topic describes the steps for initializing Retail Cloud Scale Unit.
- Deploy a Tier-2 sandbox or production environment that has application version 8.1.2.x or later.
- In Microsoft Dynamics Lifecycle Services (LCS), create a support request, and enter Access request for Retail Cloud Scale Unit.
The request will be completed within five business days.
Initialize Retail Cloud Scale Unit as part of a new environment deployment
- In LCS, on the environment details page, select Environment features > Retail.
- On the Retail setup deployment page, select Initialize.
- Select the version of the Retail Cloud Scale Unit to initialize.
- Select a region to initialize Retail Cloud Scale Unit in.
Configure retail channels to use RCSU
- After Retail Cloud Scale Unit has been deployed, in the head office client go to Retail > Retail Headquarters > Retail Scheduler setup > Channel database to ensure that your retail channels are configured to use the database for this Retail Cloud Scale Unit.
- Go to each retail channel and select the Channel Profile for the corresponding Retail Cloud Scale Unit.
Deploy additional Retail Cloud Scale Units (optional)
After you have initialized the first Retail Cloud Scale Unit (RCSU), you can optionally deploy one additional RCSU. If you need more than 2 RCSUs, you need to file a support request to increase the limit, stating the number of RCSUs needed, environment name, and desired regions.
For each additional RCSU that you deploy, it is also recommended that you create a separate channel database group for each RCSU. To do this, follow these steps:
- In Retail head office, go to Retail > Retail Headquarters > Retail Scheduler setup > Channel database group.
- Create a new channel database group.
- Go to the Retail > Retail Headquarters > Retail Scheduler setup > Channel database form and select the channel database that corresponds to the newly created RCSU.
- Select Edit and select the new channel database group.
- Select Save.
- Select Run Full data sync for the selected channel database.
Additional considerations if you initialize cloud-hosted Retail channel components in an existing environment
If you're already using cloud-hosted Retail channel components in an environment, initialization of Retail Cloud Scale Unit will help reduce the downtime when those components are updated. Additional planning is required before initialization of Retail Cloud Scale Unit.
- Make sure that all shifts at the POS are closed.
- Make sure that all P-jobs have been successfully completed.
- Sign out of all POS devices.
You should plan for a five-hour downtime window for the store and any online channel operations that use Retail Server.
Here is what occurs during the initialization period:
- Cloud-hosted Retail channels won't work (unless POS offline capability is turned on).
- POS devices with offline capability turned on will have reduced functionality.
- Any e-Commerce clients that depend on Retail Server will be disrupted.
- Channels that are hosted on Retail Store Scale Units won't be affected.
- Head office functionality won't be affected.
Here is what occurs after initialization is completed:
- The device activation state of all activated POS devices will be preserved, which means that the devices won't have to be reactivated.
- Stand-alone hardware station instances will continue to work.
- POS channel–side reports will be reset and won't show data from before the initialization.
- Show journal operation will also be reset and won't show data from before the initialization.
Send feedback about: