Functionality noted in this topic is available to targeted users as part of a preview release. The content and the functionality are subject to change. For more information about preview releases, see Service update availability.
Functionality noted in this topic will be made available to users based on the geographic location recognized by Microsoft Azure.
This topic provides information about maintenance mode in Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations. When maintenance mode is turned on, it provides a safe way for system administrators to make system changes that might affect system functionality. For example, configuration keys can be enabled or disabled. While maintenance mode is on, only system administrators and users who have the Maintenance mode user role can sign in to the system. By default, maintenance mode is turned off. When maintenance mode is off, you can't edit the License configuration page.
Turn maintenance mode on and off on sandbox and production environments through Lifecycle Services
You can now turn maintenance mode on and off directly through Lifecycle Services (LCS) on your sandbox and production environments. Refer to the following steps to do this:
- Go to the environment details page and on the Maintain menu and click Configure Maintenance Mode. This menu item will display for customers added to the preview.
- In the slider, set Turn maintenance mode on for the environment and select Confirm.
- A servicing operation will begin and your system will go into maintenance mode.
- On completion, the environment state will be In Maintenance. At this point, only the system administrator will have access to the environment.
- After you are done making system-wide changes, you can turn off maintenance mode by clicking Disable Maintenance Mode in the environment updates section.
- This will start a servicing operation that takes your environment out of maintenance mode. You can see the progress of the operation in the environment details page.
- After this is complete, your environment goes back to the Deployed state. Now all users can sign in to the environment.
- You can check the environment history page to see when the maintenance mode was turned on or turned off. To get to the environment history page, select History and Environment changes on the environment details page.
Turning maintenance mode on and off for your sandbox and production environment is very similar to a servicing operation. If turning maintenance mode on or off fails, you will see options such as Resume, Rollback, and Abort. You also have the option to download the logs to troubleshoot why the operation failed.
Turn maintenance mode on and off in DevTest/Demo environments and VHD-based hosted environments
You can turn on maintenance mode locally by running the following command.
On some virtual machines (VMs), the exact location of the Deployment.Setup.exe tool might differ. Check AosServiceWebRootbin.
J:\AosService\PackagesLocalDirectory\Bin\Microsoft.Dynamics.AX.Deployment.Setup.exe --metadatadir J:\AosService\PackagesLocalDirectory --bindir J:\AosService\PackagesLocalDirectory\Bin --sqlserver . --sqldatabase axdb --sqluser axdbadmin --sqlpwd ********* --setupmode maintenancemode --isinmaintenancemode true
The following table describes the parameters that are used in this command.
|--setupmode maintenancemode||Use this parameter to inform the setup tool that the system will be put into or taken out of maintenance mode.|
|--metadatadir||Use this parameter to specify the metadata directory. You should use the default packages directory.|
|--bindir||Use this parameter to specify the binaries directory. You should use the default packages directory.|
|--sqlserver||Use this parameter to specify the Microsoft SQL Server. For one-box environments, use a period (.).|
|--sqluser||Use this parameter to specify the SQL Server user. You should use AOSUser.|
|--sqlpwd||Use this parameter to specify the SQL Server password.|
|--isinmaintenancemode||Use this parameter to turn configuration mode on or off. Use true to turn it on and false to turn it off.|
After the instance of Finance and Operations Application Object Server (AOS) is restarted, the system will be in maintenance mode. You can then enable configuration keys, as shown in the following screenshot.
If you try to access Finance and Operations while the system is in maintenance mode, but you aren't a system administrator or a user who has the Maintenance mode user role, you may receive an error message.
You can turn off maintenance mode by running the following command.
J:\AosService\PackagesLocalDirectory\Bin\Microsoft.Dynamics.AX.Deployment.Setup.exe --metadatadir J:\AosService\PackagesLocalDirectory --bindir J:\AosService\PackagesLocalDirectory\Bin --sqlserver . --sqldatabase axdb --sqluser axdbadmin --sqlpwd ********* --setupmode maintenancemode --isinmaintenancemode false
We'd love to hear your thoughts. Choose the type you'd like to provide:
Our feedback system is built on GitHub Issues. Read more on our blog.