This article explains how to correct a free text invoice that has been posted and reissue it as a corrected invoice.
To correct a free text invoice that has already been posted, open the posted free text invoice. On the Invoice page, select Cancel, and then select Correct invoice. Select a reason code, add comments, and select the date for new corrected invoice. You can modify the corrected invoice, and post it.
When you post the corrected invoice, a canceling invoice is created for a credit amount that equals the original invoice amount. Therefore, the combined balance of the original invoice and the canceling invoice is 0 (zero). The canceling invoice is settled against the original invoice.
After you post the corrected invoice, you will have three invoices:
- Original invoice – The invoice that includes the information that you're correcting.
- Canceling invoice – The system-generated credit invoice that was created to cancel the invoice that was most recently corrected.
- Corrected invoice – The invoice that contains the corrected invoice information.
You can identify canceling and correcting invoices in two ways:
- The All free text invoices page includes a Correction column, where you can see which invoices are canceling invoices and corrected invoices.
- The header of the free text invoice shows a status of Cancelling invoice '[invoice number]' or Corrected invoice '[invoice number]'.
This feature is available only if the Free text invoice correction configuration key is selected.