- Office 365 for Education, School Data Sync, Microsoft Intune for Education, Microsoft Store for Education, Windows 10 Creators Update, Set up School PCs
Hello, IT administrators! In this walkthrough, we'll show you how you can quickly and easily use the new Microsoft Education system, consisting of new and existing cloud services and tools, to implement a full IT cloud solution for your school.
What is Microsoft Education?
Microsoft Education consists of these new and existing services and tools from Microsoft:
- Microsoft Intune for Education for simple set up, control, and management of the resources for your school including apps, devices, and settings
- Office 365 for Education provides online apps for work from anywhere and desktop apps for advanced functionality, built for working together and available across devices, and it's free for schools, teachers, and students
- School Data Sync to help automate the process for importing and integrating School Information System (SIS) data that you can use with Office 365
- OneNote Class Notebook to organize course content, create and deliver interactive lessons to some or all students, collaborate and provide private feedback to individual students, and connect with major LMS and SIS partners for assignment workflow
- Microsoft Teams to bring conversations, content, and apps together in one place and create collaborate classrooms, connect in professional learning communities, and communicate with school staff
- Learning Tools are moving beyond the OneNote desktop app and is now available in Office Lens, OneNote Online, Word Online, and Word desktop
- Whiteboard to create interactive lessons on the big screen, share and collaborate real-time by connecting to Class Notebook and Classroom
- Windows 10, version 1703 (Creators Update) which brings 3D for everyone and other new and updated Windows features
- Minecraft: Education Edition which provides an open and immersive environment to promote creativity, collaboration, and problem-solving
With Microsoft Education, schools can:
- Use affordable devices and simple setup - Boost creativity and get started instantly with Windows 10 devices that support Windows Ink. Set up devices in minutes and stay in control with the new Intune for Education.
- Collaborate in a modern classroom - Help students become career-ready with Office apps like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote. Increase comprehension and outcomes with the most advanced teaching apps like integrated Learning Tools.
- Go beyond the browser with inspiring apps for classroom learning - Inspire with Minecraft: Education Edition and innovative apps from the Microsoft Store for Education.
Go to the Microsoft Education site to learn more. See How to buy to learn about pricing and purchasing options for schools, students, and teachers as well as academic pricing and offers for qualified K-12 and higher education institutions.
What we're doing
In this walkthrough, we'll show you the basics on how to:
- Acquire an Office 365 for Education tenant, if you don't already have one
- Import school, student, teacher, and class data using School Data Sync (SDS)
- Deploy Microsoft Teams to enable groups and teams in your school to communicate and collaborate
- Manage apps and settings deployment with Intune for Education
- Acquire additional apps in Microsoft Store for Education
- Use the Set up School PCs app to quickly set up and provision your Windows 10 education devices
- Log in and use the devices
This diagram shows a high-level view of what we cover in this walkthrough. The numbers correspond to the sections in the walkthrough and roughly correspond to the flow of the overall process; but, note that not all sections in this walkthrough are shown in the diagram.
Figure 1 - Microsoft Education IT administrator workflow
Complete these tasks before you start the walkthrough:
Make sure all the devices that you want to configure, such as student PCs, have the latest Windows 10, version 1703 image installed.
We recommend Windows 10, version 1703 to take advantage of all the new features and functionality that Windows supports. This version of Windows is also compatible with the latest version of the Set up School PCs app and the versions must match in order for Set up School PCs to provision the devices.
If you don't have Windows 10, version 1703 installed on your devices, we recommend upgrading. This process takes a while so start this task before proceeding with this walkthrough.
Have an education-verified tenant to qualify for an Office 365 for Education subscription. You also need to be education-verified to use School Data Sync and Intune for Education.
If you don't have an education-verified domain, don't worry. We'll show you the steps on how to do this.
If you need to get education-verified, it may take up to two weeks for the verification process to be completed.
To make sure you have a successful experience with deploying and managing a full cloud IT solution with Microsoft Education, select the scenario that best describes your school or how you'd like to get started.
|Get started with Microsoft Education in production environment||Try out Microsoft Education in trial environment||School uses Office 365, try out Intune for Education now|
|* My school doesn't use Office 365 for Education||* My school doesn't use Office 365 for Education||* My school uses Office 365 for Education|
|* My school is not an education-verified tenant||* My school is not an education-verified tenant||* My school is an education-verified tenant|
|* I would like to get started with Microsoft Education in a production environment||* I would like to try out Microsoft Education in a trial environment||* I would like to apply the Intune for Education trial code to my school's production environment|
|* Longest, need to start from scratch||* Simplest, but may take longer to start||* Fastest, Office 365 and SDS already set up|
Option 1: Get started with Microsoft Education in a production environment
Trying out Microsoft Education in a production environment means you'll be using real school data as you evaluate the features and tools. This requires more time to get fully set up and going.
To get started with Microsoft Education in a production environment:
Go to https://aka.ms/sdssignup and fill out the form to sign up for School Data Sync and receive a free, one-on-one support from Microsoft.
A team from Microsoft will contact you to help get started with Microsoft Education.
If you want a quicker way to evaluate Microsoft Education, you can use a trial environment instead.
Option 2: Try out Microsoft Education in a trial environment
Once you get an Office 365 education-verified tenant, trying out Microsoft Education in a trial environment is an easy way to evaluate all the features and tools. Here, you'll use promo codes and sample files as you follow the walkthrough.
To get started with Microsoft Education in a trial environment, follow these steps.
Wait for your tenant to be education-verified before proceeding with the next step. Verification can take up to a few days.
Once you have an education-verified tenant, click https://aka.ms/intuneforedupreviewtrial to apply the Intune for Education trial promo code.
- In the Intune for Education Trial page, on the upper right, click Sign in next to Want to add this to an existing subscription?.
- Sign in with your global admin credentials.
Sign in to Office 365 admin portal and:
- Select Admin > Users and then search for your admin account.
- In the user page, select Product licenses and expand the Office 365 Education license you assigned to yourself.
- Confirm that School Data Sync is turned on.
Skip ahead and follow the rest of the instructions in this walkthrough beginning with Use School Data Sync to import student data.
Option 3: Try out Intune for Education
Already have an Office 365 for Education verified tenant? Just sign in with your global admin credentials to apply the Intune for Education preview trial code to your tenant and follow the rest of the walkthrough.
- Click https://aka.ms/intuneforedupreviewtrial to get started.
In the Intune for Education Trial page, on the upper right, click Sign in next to Want to add this to an existing subscription?.
Figure 2 - Intune for Education trial sign in page
Enter your Office 365 global admin credentials to apply the Intune for Education trial to your tenant.
- If you don't already have Microsoft Teams deployed to your tenant, you can start with Enable Microsoft Teams for your school and then follow the rest of the instructions in this walkthrough.
The end-to-end process for deploying and managing a full cloud IT solution with Microsoft Education is outlined here. Depending on scenario, you may not need to implement all these steps.
Click the link to watch the video or follow the step-by-step guidance for each.
- Set up an Office 365 education tenant
- Use School Data Sync to import student data
- Enable Microsoft Teams for your school
- Configure Microsoft Store for Education
- Use Intune for Education to manage groups, apps, and settings
- Set up Windows 10 education devices
- Finish Windows 10 device setup and other tasks
Get more info
Microsoft Education documentation and resources hub
See the Microsoft Education documentation and resources hub for links to more content for IT admins, teachers, students, and education app developers.
Info related to this walkthrough
For IT admins
To learn more about the services and tools mentioned in this walkthrough, and learn what other tasks you can do, follow these links:
- Working with Microsoft Store for Education
- Resources for anyone who uses Office 365 and Resources for admins in Get started with Office 365 for Education
- School Data Sync deployment options
- Deployment using CSV files: How to deploy School Data Sync by using CSV files and CSV files for School Data Sync
- Deployment using PowerSchool Sync: How to deploy School Data Sync by using PowerSchool Sync and School Data Sync required attributes for PowerSchool Sync
- Deployment using Clever Sync: How to deploy School Data Sync by using Clever Sync and School Data Sync required attributes for Clever sync
- Deployment using OneRoster CSV files: How to deploy School Data Sync by using OneRoster CSV files
Whether it's in the classroom, getting the most out of your devices, or learning some of the cool things you can do, we've got teachers covered. Follow these links for more info: